Help identify the Packing Peanuts.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fat Bottom Farm, May 27, 2010.

1. Fat Bottom Farm

Fat Bottom Farm In the Brooder

Got a call this morning that my order from Ideal Poultry arrived, brought the little ones home and had some extra packing peanuts. I think they may be rhode island reds but not sure. Maybe someone with more experience can help.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your help!

2. katdam

katdam Chirping

May 19, 2010
    texas
    that's what my RIR looked like when they were babies....very good possibility that's what they are.

3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    And if they are packing peanuts they are likely males.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Production Red (or RIR)... and most likely male.

5. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Ditto.

6. Oh yeah you have Something from the RED family I would go with RIR but packing peanut It is a Male for sure.

7. Peppermint

Peppermint Songster

What about that little peeper makes everyone say roo? I ask because my RIR looked JUST like the one in this post and *she*[​IMG] is now 2 weeks old.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. Peppermint

Peppermint Songster

What about that little peeper makes everyone say roo? I ask because my RIR looked JUST like the one in this post and *she*[​IMG] is now 2 weeks old.

9. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Songster

It's not the appearance of the chick, but just the fact that hatcheries use some of their extra male chicks to fill out a box - one way to get rid of them that people appreciate for the most part.

10. Manda0227

Manda0227 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Usually "packing peanuts" are unwanted males from the hatchery. They throw them in for warmth for the trip to their new home. That is mainly why everyone is saying its a Roo. However, my lil RIR/Production Red whatever she is lol was a little bit darker, and almost had really faint chipmunk-y marks on her. She's 3 months old, and 100% pullet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by