Help identifying and sexing please!

Ryandavis3

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
Hello 9 week old , trying to decide if it’s a roo or not and help identifying the breed please and thank you
943ED4CD-CD0C-4FBD-A91D-A86CC4F26756.jpeg

Hello 9 week old , trying to decide if it’s a roo or not and help identifying the breed please and thank you View attachment 3796433
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Handsome.. barred rock or maybe black sex link cockerel.. hard to know for sure (at least for me) without any sales information.

Do those earlobes look red or white to you?

I'm not sure on this one, I see everyone's point, but our BR pullets had the same coloration and barring, and did get comb and wattles early on around 10 weeks, I would think Cockerels by this age would be lighter in color. I'm torn. Don't give up hope quite yet for a pullet. I could very well be way off track but you'll know soon enough I suppose.

Hello 9 week old , trying to decide if it’s a roo or not and help identifying the breed please and thank you View attachment 3796433
Barred rock for sure, because of the stocky legs, big red comb and wattles, I'm thinking male. Could you insert a pic of them as a chick? Since barred rocks are sexlinked you will be able to tell the gender by the color of the baby chick's down feathers.
1712692253997.png
1712692315971.png

I also found this, so yes he is 100% a rooster.

1712700111975.png

Barred rocks are known for being very sweet so I wouldn't worry about him being a mean rooster when he grows up and giving him away.

Back
Top Bottom