Help identifying breed - Game birds?

RatCatRooster

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Hi everyone!

We adopted a couple of roosters a while back, and I'm just really curious about what breed they are.

They were found wandering the streets of industrial Western Sydney (Australia) and brought down to our sanctuary.

They are smaller than a normal rooster, but way bigger than bantams. They are super aggressive toward other roosters (although one is now living happily in a coop with another, more passive rooster) and have this crazy quick-draw face-pecking technique. One of them gave me a 'warning' peck to the leg over a week ago, and I still have the bruise. Their crowing is unlike any of the other roosters here (we have 30), it's ratchety, shrieking, short and sharp, and extremely loud. They're compactly feathered, but when I pick them up, they're all muscle.

One has barely any hackles and a tail like a hen, the other is elaborately feathered, but they're brothers - the people working in the industrial area actually watched them grow from chicks, and only brought them to us when they started crowing all day long.

These pics were taken when they first arrived, so they're skinny (they were living on sausage rolls).

Any ideas?

Thanks Tricoglossus - I thought they must have game in them. They almost fit the bill, but just not quite. They're gorgeous birds and so talkative, always telling me off or telling everyone about the food they've found. Love 'em! :)

Back
Top Bottom