Help Identifying Chickens, Please

Dralix

Chirping
Dec 20, 2021
Millersville, Pennsylvania
Hi, all. My wife, a second grade teacher, got some eggs from Amazon to hatch for her class... back in April of this year ('23). She had 26 eggs (all but 4 hatched, and of the 22 that hatched, 4 ended up being ducks). We already had 6 ladies (2 barred rocks, 1 midnight majesty morans, and 3 Ameraucanas (or Easter Eggers... not sure if they're "true" Americaunas, as we got them at a TS in our area), but brought 3 of the 22 chicks home to raise. Her class named all the eggs before the chicks/ducks hatched. We kept the names the kids gave the eggs.

I need help identifying the three pullets, please. I don't breed/show and have no interest there. :) But, I love my ladies and like to know the breeds for health reasons, etc. The breeder's sales description wasn't overly helpful. My wife didn't care, as she was just interested in having chicks to hatch. I think the:
  • White one, "Tiny," is a Sultan, as they seem fairly distinct in appearance. But if I'm wrong, please correct. "Tiny is very skittish but second in the pullet pecking order.
  • Black one, with white highlights, "Wanda," is an Ameraucana/Easter Egger. I have another hen (Motherclucker... my then 19-year-old son named her) that's an Ameraucana/Easter Egger and very similar in body build... just copper/black mix (and only slightly more tufting at the cheeks), vs "Wanda's" coloring (and slightly less tufting). Both "Wanda" and "Mother" have a similar... curious, and very sweet... disposition. "Wanda" likes to do her own thing when free-ranging but gets scared if she finds out she's alone (cheeps/chirps like crazy) especially if she doesn't know where "Fluffy" went.
  • White, black, copper, and tan mix, "Fluffy," might just be an Easter Egger. She's awesome... curious, friendly, very active and definitely the lead hen in the pullet group.
Please see below for pics... and, thank you in advance for any thoughts/time.

Pic A ("The girls," ~1,5 months)
20230530_201600.jpg

Pic B ("Tiny," ~1,5 months)
20230530_201548 (1).jpg

Pic C ("Fluffy," ~3 months)
20230711_183529 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Pic D ("Wanda," ~3 months... "Tiny" is behind the firepit)
20230711_183529 - Copy.jpg

Pic D (The ladies)
20230709_190320.jpg

Fluffy is an EE cockerel, tiny might also be a cockerel. Wanda is an EE pullet.

Edit: I’m not positive on breed for Tiny, but sultan looks correct to my untrained eye.

Beautiful yard/garden btw!
Oh my gosh... I never thought of cockerels... now the behaviors make more sense. "Fluffy" is very dominant... and will even stand up to some of our older hens when we mingle them while free ranging, so they get used to one another.

Tiny "called out," once, like a rooster, about two weeks ago. I researched and read that hens will call like roosters, on occasion, and that it's not a definite indicator of a rooster. I saw the beginnings of spur "nubs" of Fluffy's legs about three weeks ago. But, Google research indicated that spur "nubs" aren't a definite indicator of a rooster.

We live in a suburban neighborhood. Roosters (depending on how noisy they are) could be a problem. I've been praying they aren't roosters, as we had to give beautiful barred rock rooster away 'cause he "called" out all night and day. Neighbors, who are all great in our area, started asking in a group chat we have... "who has the rooster?" I loved him, but he had to go. We gave him to a friend with a large farmette.

Thank you for the feedback, I truly appreciate it.

And thanks for the kudos on the garden... that's my wife's doing. I just take care of the weeding and trimming. :)

Oh my gosh... I never thought of cockerels... now the behaviors make more sense. "Fluffy" is very dominant... and will even stand up to some of our older hens when we mingle them while free ranging, so they get used to one another.

Tiny "called out," once, like a rooster, about two weeks ago. I researched and read that hens will call like roosters, on occasion, and that it's not a definite indicator of a rooster. I saw the beginnings of spur "nubs" of Fluffy's legs about three weeks ago. But, Google research indicated that spur "nubs" aren't a definite indicator of a rooster.

We live in a suburban neighborhood. Roosters (depending on how noisy they are) could be a problem. I've been praying they aren't roosters, as we had to give beautiful barred rock rooster away 'cause he "called" out all night and day. Neighbors, who are all great in our area, started asking in a group chat we have... "who has the rooster?" I loved him, but he had to go. We gave him to a friend with a large farmette.

Thank you for the feedback, I truly appreciate it.

And thanks for the kudos on the garden... that's my wife's doing. I just take care of the weeding and trimming. :)
Sorry for the bad news, I imagine you will be hearing a crow or two here pretty soon from fluffy at least. I hope someone can give you some more insight on Tiny!

Tiny is not a sultan, they have black skin. They’re a Silkie mix and a possible cockerel. Fluffy is a red sex link cockerel. Wanda is an Easter egger pullet. Closer pictures would definitely help confirm.

Back
Top Bottom