Help Identifying Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alabiologist, Apr 11, 2009.

1. alabiologist

alabiologist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Hello, Although I have been lurking fro quite a while, I am new to the forum and a new chicken owner. Last week we pulled the trigger at TSC with six of what were supposed to be Rhode Island Reds. After a week, it is obvious we have at least three different breeds. Can someone please help me identify them?

Pic one
    [​IMG]

Pic two
    [​IMG]

Pic three
    [​IMG]
    We got these just to try raising chickens to see how it will work out for us. If it works out well, next year we plan to order either Buff Orpingtons or Barred Rocks from a hatchery and maintain our own flock for eggs and meat.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    pic 1 and 3 looks like NHReds and pic 2 looks like a RIR to me, for that is what i hatch out the most of. william

3. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    I would say they are all RIR, they may be NH reds too though. Just give it time and see what they grow into.

4. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Pic 1 and Two have fuzzy legs! SO I am guessing Buff Cochins you got there. The last pic looks like an Easter Egger.

5. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

#1 really looks like a bantam it has feathers on its leg (I think I have one like it too), #2 I believe does too, but can't tell from the pics his featheres are very ruffly or maybe its the pic she is super cute. I think that #3 looks like an Ameracauna/Easter Egger, but I am no expert.

Here is a pic of my little bantam baby that looks similar to yours.
    [​IMG]

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    pic #1 a bantam, red cochin?????
    pic #2 a frizzle, can you see the frizzled wings?
    pic # a RIR

7. alabiologist

alabiologist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. It is amazing how fast they grow. I'll know for sure what they are in a few weeks.

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

NOW I am confused.....[​IMG] I thought RIR were RED ??? [​IMG]

My flock has 5 each of RIR, Buff, Dom, Arecanas sp? , and Brown Leghorns. Now I am totally confused as which ones are which....will post pix and try to get you all to ID my flock for me ? [​IMG]

9. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    mine were red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by