Help identifying egg issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lil kim, Feb 12, 2012.

1. lil kim

lil kim New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I looked in the nesting boxes this morning and found something that looked like an egg...[​IMG]

Does anyone know what the red ball next to the egg is?? I've found eggs like this before (most recently two weeks ago) but I've never seen that red ball.

The shell-looking thing is not hard at all, it's more like latex. But my girls get oyster shells mixed into scratch a few times a week, and 99% of their eggshells are nice and strong. I figure that sometimes they lay a bad egg and that I shouldn't be concerned, but I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong!!

I also want to mention that one of them likes to sleep in this nesting box, and it was 16˚F last night... There's no rooster, but I can't help thinking this looks like a chicken miscarriage.

2. lil kim

lil kim New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Any ideas would be great!! Thank you!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It looks like a shell-less egg with a solidified yolk? It does look like the yolk, I wonder what happened to make it look that way.

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd cut the red ball in half and see what the inside looks like.

5. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Quote: Me 2! I'm curious.
    I've found one or two similar looking eggs with the soft shells that broke open, but never the red ball thing. Sometimes I get really strange looking eggs, football shaped, marble sized, squishies, and my favorite, the real long pointy ones. [​IMG]
    How old are your hens?
    Keep us posted on what you find in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by