Help identifying plant?

mallardlover

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
Minnesota

Hello everyone! I am a first time duck owner and my two males Mario and luigi keep trying to eat this bush. I don't know what it is and I'm nervous because I know some flowers are poisonous for ducks. I mean they already ate some so if it is poisonous there's not much I can do. Im just wondering if I should keep letting them eat it. I put a fence around it for now. Any one have any answers or can send me in the direction to find out what it is? Sorry for the trouble your the best!!

No problem. :)

I love this site too. I've needed a lot of help within the last couple of months because I am also new to ducks. Mine are about 11 weeks old now. I also have chickens, and a few weeks ago I had an Egg Bound chicken, that we were successfully able to get her to pass because of the advice on this forum. It's a great place to be. :)

Welcome aboard!

No problem. :)

I love this site too.  I've needed a lot of help within the last couple of months because I am also new to ducks.  Mine are about 11 weeks old now.  I also have chickens, and a few weeks ago I had an Egg Bound chicken, that we were successfully able to get her to pass because of the advice on this forum.  It's a great place to be. :)

Welcome aboard!

Sounds amazing. Yes I did a lot of research on this site before my first duck egg incubation I can also say my first incubation ever haha. Anyway... I had one breach and was able to help it out and now he is my bigger of the two all because of the people on here!! I only had 5 eggs and really only wanted two ducks because I don't have much room here in the cities. So two made it out of five!! Pretty cool...I was shocked and proud. 3 of them made it to lockdown but my third got shrink wrapped after the internal pip. Poor guy. What does egg bound chick mean!? I'm oh so curious to learn!!!

An eggbound chicken (you can also have an eggbound duck) is when the egg is stuck inside and will not come out.
We had a very energetic chicken that suddenly became quiet, reserved, and stopped moving. I always count heads every night before we put our chickens and ducks away (they free range during the day), and I was missing one. I found her behind the bushes. She let me just walk up to her and pick her up. I have sweet chickens, but she is not one of the "sweeter" ones. She isn't mean, she just doesn't care for human companionship. Anyways, we set her down and she was waddling like a duck. So we looked up what to do on here.
You put the hen or duck in warm bath water for 45 minutes with epson salt and make sure that the egg maker, and where the egg comes out is under water. The warm bath helps them not strain so much. If it strains too much a prolapse can occur (where the organs flip outside of the chicken/duck). Luckily, that did not happen to us! We put epson salt and lavender in the water. Then we got a pair of gloves and inserted our finger into the vent to see if we could feel an egg. There was no egg, so I ran to the store and got some calcium tablets (calcium helps eggs pass) and polyvisol (multivitamin) and we force fed it to the chicken. Then we left her in a dark room over night to deactivate her egg maker. By the morning time, she had pushed that egg out. The egg was a soft shelled egg (where the egg is mushy instead of the hard coating), and that is why she was having such a hard time passing it. Sometimes though, it's a regular egg but is stuck. If it wasn't for the people and the advice we found on here, she might not have made it.

WOWWW! How amazing....I'm so glad you did that and it worked out! I really had no intentions of joining this website but after a year of creeping through the site I figured it was time hahaha. It had pretty much every question I need. And the people are so wonderful... It feels good. Specially when your a first time your feel dumb asking questions. I know there's a guy at our local farm store and he is so rude to me. I am so polite and ask him his advice and he makes me feel so stupid. So I don't go back anymore.... I drive an extra 10 min to get treated like a person!! Wow I love hearing about everyone's situations with there birds and imagining all the homeowners with awsome birds and it gets me excited. Haha. Thanks for sharing your story. Mine was similar when I had noticed my first duckling pipped at the wrong end. I looked up what to do and I helped him hatch and here we are now! He's my stubborn one doesn't like to be held as much. He is much bigger too. Thinking he needs a duck diet haha. They are only 5 weeks and they bring me so much joy everyday!!!

Back
Top Bottom