Help identifying these,..

Cliff4504

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
I origanally posted this in the wrong forum so I copied and pasted it over to here.

We ordered the ornamental layer collection from Mcmurray plus the free mystery chick. We lost one of the chicks on day 2 despite our best efforts to get it to eat and drink. They are 3 weeks old now. A few are easy to identify but I am stumped on most.

This is Fuzzhead. Obviously a golden polish. I'm wondering though, if this was our free mystery chick could this be a cockerel?

This is Ninja. It was all black with a white spot on its head early on. It had pretty bad paste problems but we got it under control and now seems healthy.

I must have missed a chick during the photo shoot,...if I can figure out which one I'll post it later.
Thanks for any input.

They look like mostly EEs. The second picture is a gold laced Wyandotte, I believe . The white one might be a Colombian Wyandotte and little peppered one might be a cuckoo marans, dominique, or barred rock, but it depends on the leg color and comb type. So far your polish looks like a roo

So far your polish looks like a roo
Thats what I was thinking,...it certainly acts more like a male.

I think 2 of them are Egyptian Fayoumis.

I didn't think I would be getting Easter Eggers in an ornamental collection,...but I wouldn't care either way. Could they be something else?

It's definitely possible. I don't have a lot of experience with some of the breeds they mention as rare, but I noticed the araucanas on there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you EEs

Now I see how it works,.....Ornamental layer collection includes breeds from the "rarest of the rare list" and "top hat special" list.

The golden polish is the only one off the top hat list so the rest have to be on this list. (which includes EEs)

Rarest of the rare.
Sumatras, Dominiques, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Silver, Golden, Buff Laced, and White Polish, Golden Campines, Golden Penciled Hamburgs, Silver Penciled Rocks, Partridge, Black, Buff, Blue, & Silver Laced and White Cochins, Araucanas, Dark and Buff Brahmas, Phoenix, Fayoumis, Salmon Faverolles, W. L. Red Cornish, Lakenvelders, Black and White Langshans, Red Caps, Silver Leghorns, Crevecoeurs, Silver Gray Dorkings, Modern BB Red Games, Sultans, Buttercups, & Spanish

It will be fun to give people colored eggs i think. =)

I origanally posted this in the wrong forum so I copied and pasted it over to here.

We ordered the ornamental layer collection from Mcmurray plus the free mystery chick. We lost one of the chicks on day 2 despite our best efforts to get it to eat and drink. They are 3 weeks old now. A few are easy to identify but I am stumped on most.
Likely an EE

gold laced wyandotte
This is Fuzzhead. Obviously a golden polish. I'm wondering though, if this was our free mystery chick could this be a cockerel?
gold laced Polish

maybe a Lakenvelder?

Fayoumi?

probably EE

ehh.. maybe EE, hard to say
This is Ninja. It was all black with a white spot on its head early on. It had pretty bad paste problems but we got it under control and now seems healthy.
Dominique

the rest could be EE or something more exotic I'm not as familiar with

I must have missed a chick during the photo shoot,...if I can figure out which one I'll post it later.
Thanks for any input.

"the rest could be EE or something more exotic I'm not as familiar with"

Thats kinda where I'm at with it,....There seems to be a lot of chicken breeds that are similar to the last 5 pics, especially at this age. The very last one has yellow feet compared to the rest. Phoenix maybe?

Lakenvelder is a strong possibility that I hadn't considered for the white ones.

I think you should try posting pictures again when they're about eight weeks because, you're right, they look like a lot of different breeds at this age. Hopefully when they're more feathered you'll be able to identify them easier. Best of luck!

Thanks,

I will be sure to post pics later on. The mystery is half the fun.
big_smile.png

Do any of those "maybe EE's" have beards? Almost all hatchery EE's have beards. Mainly because they are trying to pass them off as Amracaunas and Ameracaunas ALWAYS have beards.

I agree on the polish, dominique and GL Wyandotte.

I am 100% sure these are Egyptian Fayoumis. I have one.
LL
LL

This one's leaner body leads me to believe it's probably something more "game-y" than an EE.

How many toes does this one have? It looks like my Silver Grey Dorking did at that age.

The others, I'm not sure. When I got my rare breed assortment from Cackle, I went to the site and compared my chicks with the pictures of their chicks and figured out all of them.

Back
Top Bottom