Help identifying this breed and gender.

arestove

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016

Can anyone please identify the breed of the duck in the front? It was sold to me as a female Swedish Blue.. but as time goes by I can't stop thinking it is looking like a male Mallard?

Sorry if there is a thread specific to these sort of questions.

Thanks.

Ok so, looking over the all the breeds in the forum I believe this is a Welsh Harlequin (correct me if I am wrong). Now I need helping identifying his/her gender.

Did the store tell you what gender it was? I don't trust stores much because I was told I had 2 drakes and one turned out to be a duck/hen. Your probably going to have to sex the duck yourself. I found a great video on YouTube that would be every helpful, might be harder to sex an older duck, hope this helps.

How old?
Where did you purchase them? (farm/breeder, feed store, hatchery, etc)

Depending on age, you may be able to voice sex them. I don't feel inexperience people should be vent sexing ducklings or adults.
If it quacks, it is a girl. If they sound like they have laryngitis, it is a boy.

Looks like a welsh harlequin.

They must be around 11 weeks now. I bought them on an agriculture event here and the seller is known for selling chicken breeds but not duck breeds. I wanted a pair of White Pekins just to have around the house since I have a lot of land and no neighbors, but there was only a male so I got him but didn't want him to be alone so I told him I wanted one of the Swedish Blue. When he hands me the duckling his words were: "Here is a female Swedish Blue". So, at least now it was the wrong breed. I'll see if I can identify by their voice. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I agree it looks like a welsh harlequin but I've also had mixes like that. He could have told you it was a Swedish blue because one of its parents were.I believe the welsh harlequin came from a color mutation in a khaki campbell. Perhaps it's even a mix between a swede and khaki campbell.

Back
Top Bottom