Help identifying this

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dollarbill, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dollarbill

dollarbill In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    One of my hens (easter egger) keeps her mouth open ALOT. Is this normal? It doesnt seem normal. Thank you for any help. db

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is probably hot. Most chickens will try to cool off in hot weather by panting and some will hold their mouths open. Placing a fan in the coop and providing shade, and cool water all day will help.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    :goodpost:

4. dollarbill

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you for the fast reply! I hope it is that she is just hot. It has been in the 90's for quite awhile now. After watching her for about 20 mins. she sounds like she might have somethin' caught in her throat cause shes alot more quiet. I watched her eat a very small amount of feed and a coupla drinks of fresh water.

5. dollarbill

Mar 9, 2013
    Ha! Walter just layed her first egg! and her mouth is now shut and seems to be back to normal. WoooooHoooooo! thats pretty exciting.

Can we eat the first egg? I thought ive read here that your not supposed to? It has a little blood on it.....

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A little blood on the eggshell is normal for first time layers. The egg is safe to eat. Congrats!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Congratulations to you and Walter. The blood will wash off in some hot water, and I would probably save it if it was my first ever egg, but yes you can eat it. The eggs will probably get a lot larger in a month or two. Is Walter closing her beak now? LOL

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It is something that occurs with new layers. I learned that Vitamin E is the great reproductive vitamin. Good for the oviduct, cloaca, and expandability of vent tissue. Any water/oral supplement should have a good amount of vitamin A,D,E. I supplement water 3 days a week. No blood on eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: