Help identifying this

dollarbill

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
One of my hens (easter egger) keeps her mouth open ALOT. Is this normal? It doesnt seem normal. Thank you for any help. db

She is probably hot. Most chickens will try to cool off in hot weather by panting and some will hold their mouths open. Placing a fan in the coop and providing shade, and cool water all day will help.

Thank you for the fast reply! I hope it is that she is just hot. It has been in the 90's for quite awhile now. After watching her for about 20 mins. she sounds like she might have somethin' caught in her throat cause shes alot more quiet. I watched her eat a very small amount of feed and a coupla drinks of fresh water.

Ha! Walter just layed her first egg! and her mouth is now shut and seems to be back to normal. WoooooHoooooo! thats pretty exciting.

Can we eat the first egg? I thought ive read here that your not supposed to? It has a little blood on it.....

Ha! Walter just layed her first egg! and her mouth is now shut and seems to be back to normal. WoooooHoooooo! thats pretty exciting.

Can we eat the first egg? I thought ive read here that your not supposed to? It has a little blood on it.....
A little blood on the eggshell is normal for first time layers. The egg is safe to eat. Congrats!

Congratulations to you and Walter. The blood will wash off in some hot water, and I would probably save it if it was my first ever egg, but yes you can eat it. The eggs will probably get a lot larger in a month or two. Is Walter closing her beak now? LOL

It is something that occurs with new layers. I learned that Vitamin E is the great reproductive vitamin. Good for the oviduct, cloaca, and expandability of vent tissue. Any water/oral supplement should have a good amount of vitamin A,D,E. I supplement water 3 days a week. No blood on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom