1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help- I'm an addict!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Raisingpeeps, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Raisingpeeps

Raisingpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Quincy, IL
    So I am relatively new at raising chickens. We started last year with two Buff Orpingtons, a black australorp, a silver laced wyandotte, a cherry egger, and two easter eggers. When we moved to the country we added a barred rock roo. (8 total)

Well this spring chicken math has hit and BAD! We ordered 15 mixed pullets and 6 cochin from Cackle. Out of the 6 cochin (pretty sure FIVE of them are roosters) we received 3 black and 3 partridge. The pullets were 6 new Hampshire reds, 6 Black sex link, and 5 white rock pullets. (23 added)

Then we (I) happened to stop by the local feed store a few times and accumulated 2 more Easter Eggers, 2 Cuckoo Marans, a golden laced Wyandotte, 2 buff brahma, a salmon faverelle, two silkies, and 8 bantams. (18 more added)
    Total of 49 chickens!!!!!! OMG [​IMG] What Happened??????

No,,, Really,,, what happened? Is this going to get worse????? Is there a cure????? If not I am in BIG trouble....or maybe I need to buy more acreage!

Seriously- does anyone else have such a crazy mixed up flock? I would love to hear some stories!!! [​IMG]

2. raisingdaisies

raisingdaisies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    I'm thinking we would be best described as enablers, not recovery helpers [​IMG]
    Mine has gotten progressively worse. We have 39 now [​IMG] Oops!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Don't look to me for help; only 35 overwinter here, and now have twice that many with new chicks. Have enlarged my coop THREE times, just to keep up. Mary

4. Raisingpeeps

Raisingpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Quincy, IL
    Nooooooo I was hoping someone knew a cure [​IMG],,,, guess I'll just keep living the life with my enablers!!! Love you all:ya

1 person likes this.
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You may get "cured" when those babies start eating you out of house and home. Not to mention the amount of space they're going to need as they grow. I hope you have a big shed or plenty of coops! There's my little dose of reality. Not that I can say much. I have 30 two-week old chicks in the brooder, and 6 three-year old hens. If one of those hens should happen to go broody, I will gladly put some fertile eggs or babies from the farm supply store under her. [​IMG]

6. hunter2009

hunter2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    Its addicting, I started out two and a half years ago with 6. Now I have thirty-two. Good thing about it is as long as my wife keeps getting goats she can't say anything about me getting chickens!! Good luck with your addiction!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ...and the amount of poop you'll have deal with hahaha!

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I over wintered 15 birds. And then I set up my incubators. Between what I've hatched, and the order I received from Cackle, I think I'm up to 65 now :oops: Not all of them will stay though. I agree, once space starts getting tight, the poop starts to accumulate and feeders and drinkers always need to be filled, you'll be more than ready to let some go!

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I wasn't going to get chicks this year and then I happened into the farm supply store on Sunday. I KNEW BETTER but I did it anyway. I came home with 7.

I have 22 adult hens and now these 7 chicks, oh and I forgot to mention that my neighbor has 8 eggs in a incubator for me, he wanted to know a week ago if I would like for him to hatch me some chicks. He hatched what he wanted/needed but likes hatching chicks soooooo.

He has 9 Easter Eggers hens and a leghorn rooster so I thought those crosses could be interesting so I said sure I'll take what hatches.

Usually I lose two or three a year from old age or unknown causes, knock on wood haven't lost a bird to predator in years. But the last couple of years I've not lost a one.

It is so addicting. I can't remember the last spring I went through in which I didn't have chicks and obviously this spring isn't going to be any different.

10. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Just A couple More

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by