Help- I'm getting ducks from someone but they have swollen ankles

Pampered Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Oct 25, 2009
These duck's were on craigslist for free. They have swollen ankles. They we're used to train dogs and can't run fast anymore so she's getting rid of them. How would I help them get better?

I'll add a pic tonight.

Maybe Some brewes yeast or niacin in their feed??
Dont know... poor things.
sad.png

Were they injured at the ankles???? Did you check for possible bumble foot....Poor little duckies... You may want to put picks up in emergencies section.

I wasn't sure where to put it. I pick them up Sunday. Just from looking at the pics the ankle part looks swollen. They we're used to train hearding dogs so I'm guess they pulled something. They are only 3 months old.

Put them on a good diet with plenty of vitamins and electrolytes in their drinking water. Then just leave them alone and the swelling should go down in a few days. A mortar mixing pan with warm water will help to get the blood circulation going, and therefore help with the healing. I truly hate people who do that to ducks.
Katharina

If it's done right there's no harm to the ducks. I have a friend who trains her border collies with runner ducks, but she limits the time and rotates the ducks so they aren't over worked. She also only uses adults so she isn't stressing young growing bones. She gives the ducks excellent treats when they are done so they know it's a little while of runnign around then good snack. They really don't seem to mind.

Quote:
Columbia I agree, if someone does it right, and treats the animals with care both the herding animal and the herd animal, then I have no issue in the world with this. Though of course just like alot of farmers many people think of their animals as food, a way of life, money makers, and in the case of herding dogs : an animal with a job that keeps it alive on that farm. Thats the way life is.

I don't like the fact whoever used 3 month old or younger ducks as the herd, thats entirely too much stress and work on a young growing animal. Thats like saddling up and jumping on a 1 yr old percheron horse, just cause its big enough for you to get on its back doesnt mean its body is ready to handle you.

Ignorance to basics of an animal's care and disrespect of an animals warefare upsets me.
he.gif

Quote:
Columbia I agree, if someone does it right, and treats the animals with care both the herding animal and the herd animal, then I have no issue in the world with this. Though of course just like alot of farmers many people think of their animals as food, a way of life, money makers, and in the case of herding dogs : an animal with a job that keeps it alive on that farm. Thats the way life is.

I don't like the fact whoever used 3 month old or younger ducks as the herd, thats entirely too much stress and work on a young growing animal. Thats like saddling up and jumping on a 1 yr old percheron horse, just cause its big enough for you to get on its back doesnt mean its body is ready to handle you.

Ignorance to basics of an animal's care and disrespect of an animals warefare upsets me.
he.gif

Exactly. Just because an animal is a layer, or to become meat or practice for herders doesn't mean you can't treat it with respect.

LMAO!!! That is too funny!! I called the woman, it must have been right after you did! She told me someone was coming sunday, out in Fairlee, right? LOL Anyway I had a similiar problem with a pekin being niacin deficient, it cleared up, but she still has some weakness. If it's the same thing then it is likely they will always have a weakness, still good layers though. Looking at the pics again, I am thinking it may be a tendon injury, not sure though. If they end up being a problem for you, let me know, I'd be happy to add them to my flock.

Back
Top Bottom