HELP! I'm getting Silkies and Bantams!

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I need some advice here. I have gotten comfortable with the whole standard size breed thing when it comes to chicks, but Silkies and d'Uccles are a brand new thing to me! These will be my DD's chicks/chickens. We will be building her a small coop of her very own for these little ones, but is there something special that I need to do with them as chicks? Can they go in with the standard size chicks to begin with or do you have to keep them apart because of their size? AussieSharon picked the Silkies up for me Sat. (I will be getting them this coming Sat. when she heads this direction for the swap meet) and we are hatching the d'Uccles, which are due this coming weekend. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

I keep bantys separte out of personal preference. I know people who do and it is fine as long as the ages are about the same. I find it is easier to tame them separte. You don't really do anything different. Keep heat on them, keep food and water, just the same. They maynot be as active and a little more fragile(just out of my experience). Good luck. I love silkies. They are so fun to watch

I'm brooding my silkies with some standards right now. The silkies have been easy to care for, no problems! I do find they 'scratch' at the bedding earlier and with more vigor than my standards did, necessitating getting the food and water elevated sooner.

Back
Top Bottom