Help Im going crazy.

Cjturner

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
We have 4 ducklings that are 2 weeks old and huge. We love them so much. I know Im freaking out about most stuff but I noticed my ducks seem to be grooming or itching alot. Under their wings, on their tail and by their ears. Ive noticed one seems to have thinner feathers. We give them a little time in the tub daily to swim or splash around and then towel dry them because we were told they cant really dry themselves yet. I clean their pen area 4 times a day because of the poop and I read somewhere mold can grow under the bedding and cause breathing issues. I make sure they have access to clean food and water so I change that alot too. I dont see any sign of lice (I googled it). Other then the itching they seem fine. They play, run, eat and drink like normal. They love my daughter and follow her everywhere. We love them so much so if there is anything Im doing wrong or can do to help them please let me know.

Attachments

• 97112062_10222673089644594_9113120518424231936_o.jpg
    97112062_10222673089644594_9113120518424231936_o.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
Those ducklings look a bit older than two weeks, more like three and at that age their real feathers start to break through the skin and that itches and sometimes hurts.
Your ducklings are all huddled together, sleeping and suddenly one of them squeaks, jumps up and runs around? - Typical symptom for feather growth. Nothing to worry about.
Who told you that ducklings can't dry and clean themselves. At this age they can! And they should have plenty of swimming time, so that their oil-gland starts to produce preening oil, which they use instinctively to make themselves waterproof.
You don't say where you live, but if it isn't too cold outside, they need some outdoor time to get used to the temperatures and environment. You. don't. want. to. have. four. grown. up. house. ducks. Their permanent pooping will drive you nuts!

They were born April 23, they are just two weeks. And that is exactly whats happening. They snuggle and poof they are up and itching and squeaking. When they were born my daughter asked the farmer and he said to let them splash but towel dry them till they get a bit older. I guess they are older now. We do plan on putting them outside once the weather gets warmer, we are in Alberta Canada and right now the weather is warm for a few days and then freezing cold the next few days.
We were not keeping them. We got 12 eggs after the schools closed and hatched 8 of the cutest little ducklings. We brought 4 back last week and will be bringing these ones back in the next few weeks. I didnt expect for them to bond so greatly to my daughter and warm themselves into my heart.
One little ducky has really bonded to my daughter and as much as I would love to keep her and apply for her to be a service pet I dont think its fair to keep the little ducky in the city when we can only keep one.

Attachments

• 95799005_10222646840068371_1041943711501516800_o.jpg
    95799005_10222646840068371_1041943711501516800_o.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 22
Ducks are the best!! I lost my favorite duck after 5 years last October. Still have my new crested duck almost a year old and my mallard who is 5 years old. They are house ducks and are so spoiled. I also have 9 chickens that live outside and now 4 new baby chicks. My daughter loves them all❤️

Ducks are the best!! I lost my favorite duck after 5 years last October. Still have my new crested duck almost a year old and my mallard who is 5 years old. They are house ducks and are so spoiled. I also have 9 chickens that live outside and now 4 new baby chicks. My daughter loves them all❤
They are the best. I always said I was a dog person and a tortoise person. When my last shelled friend passed on I was heart broken and didnt want another pet. I thought this was gonna be easy and I could take them back to the farm without a problem. But now Im in love, and so is my daughter. Id love to keep one as a house duck but I cant keep all 4. It just isnt fair.

You did a very good job with those ducklings! They are huge for two weeks! And no: One little Ducky is a very sad ducky!
It is too bad, for your daughter as well as for the ducklings that you can't keep them. Ducks are adorable creatures, i have 26 running around on my land and they make me laugh, astonished and thoughtful multiple times every day.
Alberta! I ha a project in La Combe in December 2009 and it was so dang cold there that i ended up with frostbite on my ears! And i bet you still have lousy cold days up there, but if the weather is fine, take'em out for a short while, they will looooove it. And they will tell you when they want to go back into the warmth.
Muttlings as the best ducks of all! They are usually more healthy than the clean bread ducks - it is similar to what we humons do to dogs… - I have mixes of Buff Orpington and India Runners and they are so active and investigative! When they see me with any kind of digging tool they follow me like little pet dogs and check out what i dug up.

You did a very good job with those ducklings! They are huge for two weeks! And no: One little Ducky is a very sad ducky!
It is too bad, for your daughter as well as for the ducklings that you can't keep them. Ducks are adorable creatures, i have 26 running around on my land and they make me laugh, astonished and thoughtful multiple times every day.
Alberta! I ha a project in La Combe in December 2009 and it was so dang cold there that i ended up with frostbite on my ears! And i bet you still have lousy cold days up there, but if the weather is fine, take'em out for a short while, they will looooove it. And they will tell you when they want to go back into the warmth.
Muttlings as the best ducks of all! They are usually more healthy than the clean bread ducks - it is similar to what we humons do to dogs… - I have mixes of Buff Orpington and India Runners and they are so active and investigative! When they see me with any kind of digging tool they follow me like little pet dogs and check out what i dug up.
Thank you. They eat and drink non stop and get lots of running around and cuddles.
The farmer is a great guy and not to far away so Im sure he wouldn't mind if we brought his flock some treats and said hi. I love their personalities. They are all so different from one anther. They are the best for sure.
2009 was a really cold winter. We did have some nice days and we brought them out but not alot.
What about enrichment? Is there toys and games I should be doing to keep them from getting bored? I know other animals get nervous ticks or stress habbits without enrichment. So far they have access to the tub, they run around the house and have enjoyed exploring the barbie house.

We have 4 ducklings that are 2 weeks old and huge. We love them so much. I know Im freaking out about most stuff but I noticed my ducks seem to be grooming or itching alot. Under their wings, on their tail and by their ears. Ive noticed one seems to have thinner feathers. We give them a little time in the tub daily to swim or splash around and then towel dry them because we were told they cant really dry themselves yet. I clean their pen area 4 times a day because of the poop and I read somewhere mold can grow under the bedding and cause breathing issues. I make sure they have access to clean food and water so I change that alot too. I dont see any sign of lice (I googled it). Other then the itching they seem fine. They play, run, eat and drink like normal. They love my daughter and follow her everywhere. We love them so much so if there is anything Im doing wrong or can do to help them please let me know.

Agreed, they are losing their duckling fluff, before they start molting into their adult feathers. It can be a bit itching for them.

Back
Top Bottom