Help.. I'm having a bad day after losing my first hen. : (

one2beeluved

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
Marysville, WA
Just wanting to know what might have happened. She was fine yesterday and then this am she had pale waddles. She was picking at her feet a lot and not joining the others in the back yard. A couple hours later I checked on my hens and she was dead. At least she chose a nice piece of grass to lay down in and she didn't look like she struggled at all. She was just laying there dead. This is my first loss and she was a very nice Brahma hen. It is hitting me really hard and can't even imagine what went wrong. I'm hoping the other 5 will be ok. any ideas? Please let me know. Thank you. Tara
sad.png

Thank you McChix. I'm also worried on how my children are going to feel... mostly my 8 year old. It was part of his 8 year birthday present to get the hens. Tara

I'm sorry. I lost my favorite duck about this time last year. It is a lot harder to lose one than we would think it would be. They become part of the family.

Aww Tara, im so sorry for your loss. It never gets easy. Some times we never know why...they just die. Hope all the others are ok...and give your daughter a big hug. Tell her God wanted that sweet hen in HIS flock!

I'm so sorry...One of my losses was a big Brahma too.

Sometimes these things just happen...
Pale comb and wattles can be anaemia or worms.

Just keep an eye on the rest of them.

Make sure that they're not coughing, sneezing or wheezing.
Keep an eye out on what colour their poops are.
Is anyone fluffed up looking? Or laying around?
Any drainage from eyes or noses?

There is no drainage from their noses or eyes. No one is laying around as of yet but I may worm them just in case. If it is anemia how do I treat that. ?? Just pulling out my chicken books to read more.
Thank you for your insight SpottedCow.
Tara

Back
Top Bottom