Help!!!! i'm holdin a wild turkey egg to keep it warm what do i do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzannaski, Jun 18, 2010.

1. msheets

msheets Songster

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    OMG that's awesome, congrats!

2. Congratz!!

3. suzannaski

suzannaski Songster

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Let's hope I do the pics right...
    We're not sure if its a boy or a girl, but we named him Nemo anyway. So here he is hiding in his surrogate mama's feathers
    [​IMG]
    Goldie teaches Nemo how to eat
    [​IMG]
    And here he is chillaxin' after deciding he's warm enough from being under Goldie's feathers (it was 90 degrees outside today!)
    [​IMG]

We were so happy to have a good thing happen, after losing two hens on Sunday.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That last picture is the best! a huge congrats on your precious bundle!!!

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    OMG congrats!!!! How cute is he! Precious! [​IMG]

You definitely did the right thing! I don't know about some folks, but I can't sit there and let some animal die because of a "law"... most laws are stupid anyways. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep some laws are stupid, I would have probably done the same thing, but it is a law and you should probably contack your local Department of Natural Resources or something and see what you need to do legally becuase I'm pretty sure it is illegal to take wild animals out of their natural environment like that, I know Eastern Wild turkeys are illegal to own here in Ga becuase that is our local strain that we have running wild around here and since that bird was nesting in your field, it is obviously your local wild strain and is probably illegal for you to own. Good for you for saving it, but you could probably get in trouble if you were caught with it.

But here some of our wild waterfowl species like Wood Ducks and Canada Geese are legal to own, as long as you buy them and do not take them from their natural environment, but you must buy a permit to sell them. If you contact someone and explain your situtation and the circumstances of how you got the egg, then they may possibly let you keep it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: