Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
I was looking at cocker spaniels and they seemed like a pretty good fit....thoughts?
I checked out brittanies but thought they seemed to high strung.
I know you’re looking for a pure bred so I’m not sure how helpful this is, but I have a Golden Retriever Spaniel. He exhibits all the traits you mentioned in your original post, but he is very sensitive and emotional. He’s a medium sized dog, and has never shown signs of rage syndrome. He’s a house dog - but he helps watch the chickens while they’re in the yard.
I hope you find a dog that meets your needs, good luck!

Attachments

• 5285859F-BC63-4599-B721-027B0F569EF9.jpeg
    5285859F-BC63-4599-B721-027B0F569EF9.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 394B57F2-2FE9-4594-B34B-446E433AC1AA.jpeg
    394B57F2-2FE9-4594-B34B-446E433AC1AA.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 3
im sorry but that is just not really true i have had multiple pits and they a fairly easy going do not require a lot of training never had ANY sort of agression mine have fought off pretadors protceting my chickens
im sorry but that is just not really true i have had multiple pits and they a fairly easy going do not require a lot of training never had ANY sort of agression mine have fought off pretadors protceting my chickens
You’ve had an actual American Pit Bull Terrier or a bully breed mix labeled as a “pit”? 🤔 because the actual APBT breed is FAR FAR different from any mutt with a blocky head. And they were literally BRED FOR dog aggression. It is even in the breed standard. It doesn’t mean they are bad dogs, I love pits, but denying their heritage and painting all of them as these perfect creatures that would never even hurt a fly does more harm than good. People need to be prepared for these breed traits. This is why people wind up panicking and putting dogs down when their dog suddenly attacks the other dog or goes after their cat or something. Cause they weren’t prepared. They may NEVER develop issues or they might! But they need to be prepared and denying it does no one any good. But again, APBT is FAR different. There is only ONE “pit bull” breed. All the rest are either a different breed all together or are bully breed mixes. Which are all equally fabulous in their own right but are NOT “pit bulls.”

It loo
This is a tough one... most longer furred dog breeds have more energy as they were herding dogs... most breeds with medium energy are hounds and therefore have prey drive...
Yeah....
Have you considered beagles? I've heard they can get along well with cats, they don't have crazy energy, they're good family dogs (they don't bond to one person), and they are medium in size.
That's an idea! I always had the impression that they were sleepy and slow, but I'll check it out.
One of my favorite dogs is a mini labradoodle, so I have nothing against the dogs themselves, but I don't usually recommend one. First of all, think why somebody would breed a doodle. It can't be for love of the breed, because they're hybrids that can have any mix of their parents genetics, and it can't be for a specific task because again, they're hybrids. The only reason would be money, and if you're looking to make money from breeding they would need to cut corners: no pedigree, no papers, no shows/competitions to show the capability of the dog, not as many health tests ('vet checks' and 'health tests' are not the same thing), etc. They also, as I mentioned above, can have any personality of their parents, which means that they could act just like a poodle, and look like one too, or they could act just like a lab, but no matter what the breeder claims, there are no guarantees.
These were my exact concerns.
Oh! Oh! This gives me a chance to recommend a very underappreciated dog breed I've been dying to recommend since I first heard of it: lagotto romagnolo.
Someone just told me about these earlier today!
They look a lot like doodles, are hypoallergenic, have enough energy but not a ton, like swimming, are great family dogs, and are essentially a purebred version of a doodle!
I'll check them out! I"m not actually that much of a fan of curly dogs, but for doodles (that I've met) the personality makes up for it.
Sorry, this is long and probably full of unnessecary advice.
No, this was super helpful!

You’ve had an actual American Pit Bull Terrier or a bully breed mix labeled as a “pit”? 🤔 because the actual APBT breed is FAR FAR different from any mutt with a blocky head. And they were literally BRED FOR dog aggression. It is even in the breed standard. It doesn’t mean they are bad dogs, I love pits, but denying their heritage and painting all of them as these perfect creatures that would never even hurt a fly does more harm than good. People need to be prepared for these breed traits. This is why people wind up panicking and putting dogs down when their dog suddenly attacks the other dog or goes after their cat or something. Cause they weren’t prepared. They may NEVER develop issues or they might! But they need to be prepared and denying it does no one any good. But again, APBT is FAR different. There is only ONE “pit bull” breed. All the rest are either a different breed all together or are bully breed mixes. Which are all equally fabulous in their own right but are NOT “pit bulls.”
yes i have had pure bred APBTs before i have also had mutts labled as pits and the most furstating thing is when you see a story on a "pit bull" acakking you click on it and it barley looks part pit

Back
Top Bottom