Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
***PSA: We are not adopting a shelter dog. While it is a wonderful thing to do, it is not the right choice for our family. If you do not have a suggestion of an actual dog breed that fits the criteria below (not just a breed that you like or you have) I would love to hear it, but we are not in the positon to adopt.***
My family is totally in the market for a dog. In the past, we've always had, and LOVEd, golden retrievers, but our current house and yard setup just,,,,,does not work for them. We can only sort of maybe fence our yard, and my parents are opposed to electric fences.
We've loved the temperament of goldens, if that gives you a good idea of what we're looking for. The ideal dog would:
-be smaller than a golden, but nothing excessively tiny (french bulldog, chihuahua)
-have fur that isn't much shorter than that of a labrador
-would not drool a lot
-NOT YIPPY. THIS IS A MUST.
-must be active enough to take on walks, hikes, etc (not excessively, but we don't want a couch potato)
-should not be any more active than a golden retriever, in fact, preferably would be less active
-nothing that would constantly chase a cat around
-nothing that would bond exclusively to one person and ignore everybody else
-nothing with excessive health problems (bulldog, pug, etc)
-preferably, but not necessarily, enjoys swimming
What I've come up with so far is:

-cardigan corgis
-pembroke welsh corgis
I'm not sure how much my parents like corgis, but they seem to be very good temperament-wise.
-eurasiers
The problems with these is that my dad doesn't like the spitz look, and they're very difficult to find breeders for.
Other, more common spitz breeds, are more energetic than we're looking for.
-cocker spaniels
I haven't pitched these to my parents yet.
You should look into shelties they are absolutely adorable and very intelligent.

I agree, and you're not going to find an AKC registered labradoodle anyway.
I vote for Corgi, they are wonderful dogs with a big dog temperament in a little dog package.
What I meant by that was AKC registered parents. If it's a first generation.
That would mean the parents would be pure bred.

I’ll just throw in my opinion. I would say a boarder collie. I have a short hair boarder collie and she loves to be active and swim but when it’s time to relax she’ll go to sleep right away. Also she isn’t very tall and is light enough to pick up. Boarder collies are very smart and clever though and my dog unlatches her gate from her kennel and it sucks but she is very loyal and loving.

Back
Top Bottom