Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
Thoughts on Jack Russell Terriers?
There is one that is a year old (shockingly) that is available near us, well trained, and good with cats.
Since there is one specific dog available, you could try talking to the owners (maybe by telephone first), then maybe go visit the dog. The individual dog may or may not match what is normal for the breed.

Here's a wikipedia article about the breed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russell_Terrier
Based on the "temperament" section of that article, that breed might not be what you are looking for--but you would be a better judge of that than me :lol:

Thoughts on Jack Russell Terriers?
There is one that is a year old (shockingly) that is available near us, well trained, and good with cats.
Edit: fixed typo
Had one that was a rescue but could tell it was mixed. Well behaved, quiet, friendly with everyone including other animals.
I had a pure Boston terrier that was a wonderful dog but your original post said no slobber. A soccer ball in the yard & he had shoe strings hanging off.
We kept baby wipes by the door. Lol. Other than the slobber would be a comparable dog to the Jack.

***PSA: We are not adopting a shelter dog. While it is a wonderful thing to do, it is not the right choice for our family. If you do not have a suggestion of an actual dog breed that fits the criteria below (not just a breed that you like or you have) I would love to hear it, but we are not in the positon to adopt.***
My family is totally in the market for a dog. In the past, we've always had, and LOVEd, golden retrievers, but our current house and yard setup just,,,,,does not work for them. We can only sort of maybe fence our yard, and my parents are opposed to electric fences.
We've loved the temperament of goldens, if that gives you a good idea of what we're looking for. The ideal dog would:
-be smaller than a golden, but nothing excessively tiny (french bulldog, chihuahua)
-have fur that isn't much shorter than that of a labrador
-would not drool a lot
-NOT YIPPY. THIS IS A MUST.
-must be active enough to take on walks, hikes, etc (not excessively, but we don't want a couch potato)
-should not be any more active than a golden retriever, in fact, preferably would be less active
-nothing that would constantly chase a cat around
-nothing that would bond exclusively to one person and ignore everybody else
-nothing with excessive health problems (bulldog, pug, etc)
-preferably, but not necessarily, enjoys swimming
What I've come up with so far is:

-cardigan corgis
-pembroke welsh corgis
I'm not sure how much my parents like corgis, but they seem to be very good temperament-wise.
-eurasiers
The problems with these is that my dad doesn't like the spitz look, and they're very difficult to find breeders for.
Other, more common spitz breeds, are more energetic than we're looking for.
-cocker spaniels
I haven't pitched these to my parents yet.
The labordoodles ( lab poodle mix) are hugely popular as family dogs. If you get a mini doodle the father would be a miniature poodle cross with the lab so it’s I’m guessing around 30 pounds full-grown instead of a full lab size. The same goes for the golden doodles. Mini poodle dad standard size golden retriever mom. I’ve known a few of these dogs and they were quite nice. I’d be careful and only buy from a reputable breeder of this mix or you don’t know what you’ll end up with. Good luck!

Miniature goldens aren't real enough to have reputable breeders, right?
Definitely not a thing. That sounds super sketch. They are either mixed with something to get the smaller size or they are purposely breeding the runts or for dwarfism both of which would be unhealthy and unethical. Or their pictures are just of puppies and they’re regular Goldens lol

Definitely not a thing. That sounds super sketch. They are either mixed with something to get the smaller size or they are purposely breeding the runts or for dwarfism both of which would be unhealthy and unethical. Or their pictures are just of puppies and they’re regular Goldens lol
I think it said that they were goldens crossed with cocker spaniels (found when I was looking for golden cocker retrievers) So they admit to being crossed.

I think it said that they were goldens crossed with cocker spaniels (found when I was looking for golden cocker retrievers) So they admit to being crossed.
Oh well that’s good then!! Still kinda bugs me though that they give them kind of a designer name instead of saying that in the title

Back
Top Bottom