Help I'm new to hatching chickens

so I'm really new to hatching chickens and I was wondering will chicken eggs hatch at a different time depending on if it's to cold or hot
Do you mean temps during incbation? If the temperature during incubation over the average was a bit cooler than required temps you will usually see a delay in the hatch of a day or two. If temps were warmer than required over the averge than you will normally see them hatching a day or two early. If it's significantly too warm or too cold you will suffer low hatch rates or a compromised hatch. Same with humidity. Humidity levels being too low or high over ther average of the incubation can also lead to low hatch rates or compromised hatches.

Do you mean temps during incbation? If the temperature during incubation over the average was a bit cooler than required temps you will usually see a delay in the hatch of a day or two. If temps were warmer than required over the averge than you will normally see them hatching a day or two early. If it's significantly too warm or too cold you will suffer low hatch rates or a compromised hatch. Same with humidity. Humidity levels being too low or high over ther average of the incubation can also lead to low hatch rates or compromised hatches.
Thank u

Hey ya'll!! Don't know how to write a new post on my phone so I'm just gonna comment on here and hope someone gives me an answer lol. I have two hens and one rooster but we have to give our rooster away because the neighbours are complaining so my dad's been taking our fertilised eggs and putting them in the cupboard for when the hens get broody again. Will this work? And how long will they stay fertile?

Hey ya'll!! Don't know how to write a new post on my phone so I'm just gonna comment on here and hope someone gives me an answer lol. I have two hens and one rooster but we have to give our rooster away because the neighbours are complaining so my dad's been taking our fertilised eggs and putting them in the cupboard for when the hens get broody again. Will this work? And how long will they stay fertile?
Most people will only set eggs gathered for one week for incubation. The "experts" say 10 days and less gives you the best rate and most people agree that over 2 weeks significantly decreases hatchability.

Most people will only set eggs gathered for one week for incubation. The "experts" say 10 days and less gives you the best rate and most people agree that over 2 weeks significantly decreases hatchability.
Okay, I think they've been in the cupboard for a couple days now, shall I incubate them now then as opposed to waiting for my hens to go broody again?

Hey do u know what temp it has to be and what humidity it has to be to get a 90% hatch rate ?
There are a lot of factors involved. What kind of incubator you are using (still or forced air) and your ambient humidity will effect what humidity is going to work for you. In my sig at the bottom of the post is a link for the humidity method I recommend. (I use 75% at hatch.) There is no magic number, you have to find what works with your eggs and that method explains how to do it. If you are using a still air then you want an average of about 101.5F taken near the top of the eggs. If you are using forced you want 99.5F. Other things are going to effect the hatch rate though. Egg quality, whether they are shipped or local. (Shipped eggs have an average of 50% hatch.) Handling practices, how clean the eggs are, how sanitary the bator is. Hatch rate is not all dependent on temp and humidity though that is a big part of it.

(Also, having checked and accurate thermometers/hygrometers are detrimental to your hatch.)

Back
Top Bottom