Help! I'm very confused about DE and prevention of lice/mites!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbecca, Jul 26, 2016.

1. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    I need some input please! I am getting my first day old chicks tomorrow and I am panicking that I should have put a preventative down for lice/mites before getting them. I am using an existing coop and run that was on our property when we bought it and hasn't been cleaned or used in a few years. I scaped and shoveled everything out and sprayed a 50/50 vinager water solution on everything. I originally was told by a friend who raises chickens to use Pimeathran livestock powder and put it all thru the coop. But as I read it and started preparing to do it, realized I could not bring myself to put such a harsh chemical near my chickens (or my 2 and 4 yr old who will be helping me raise them) so then I was looking at using DE. But even on here there are such mixed thoughts on weather to use it or not. Any suggestions please!

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    What you described as a harsh chemical is in reality just a manufactured version of the old stand by Marigold flowers that 1960 hippies used to keep insect pest from getting stoned by eating their Mary Jane plants. Chill-out.

BTW, 50/50 water vinegar is in reality just 2.5% vinegar because vinegar is 95% good old fashion H2O to begin with. 2.5% vinegar however is perfect for making dill pickles.

Get the liquid Pimeathran because it is easier to apply to the coop as well as the bird using a pump-up hand sprayer. Also Pimeathran impregnated water doesn't fly everywhere like a powder or dust will. As a special added attraction Pimeathran is a insect repellant, DE is not and besides DE's usefulness is highly doubtful.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by