Help! I'm Worried Some of My Pullets Are Cockerels!

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
So I have 5 four-month pullets (I hope they're female!), and two of them are looking like they may be cockerels. One is an Asian Black (named Moon) and I have two of that breed, and Moon has a totally different body build than the other chickens. She is chunkier and much bigger. And then the other is a Rhode Island Red (named Sabine) and she has much longer tail feathers than the others, and a big-ish comb, too. I am asking for advice on if they are pullets or cockerels, and if there is any way to truly tell before they start to crow/lay eggs.

(Also, is there such thing as a silent rooster? Or can you train a rooster/cockerel not to crow?)

Oct 26, 2020
Post pictures please.
All roosters/cockerels crow and there can be no training to stop that. A few people use No Crow collars, but if a rooster can't crow then why do you have him? You can tell genders before egg laying.

Also what is an Asian black chicken? :)

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
Premium Feather Member
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
You can tell to different degrees based on individual and age. The major tell is gender specific coloring and feathering.
hen and roo.jpg

RoosterWhisperer

Future apprentice falconer
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2019
So I have 5 four-month pullets (I hope they're female!), and two of them are looking like they may be cockerels. One is an Asian Black (named Moon) and I have two of that breed, and Moon has a totally different body build than the other chickens. She is chunkier and much bigger. And then the other is a Rhode Island Red (named Sabine) and she has much longer tail feathers than the others, and a big-ish comb, too. I am asking for advice on if they are pullets or cockerels, and if there is any way to truly tell before they start to crow/lay eggs.

(Also, is there such thing as a silent rooster? Or can you train a rooster/cockerel not to crow?)
Nice names, love it!
Pictures please?

Top Bottom