Help! I'm Worried Some of My Pullets Are Cockerels!

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
So I have 5 four-month pullets (I hope they're female!), and two of them are looking like they may be cockerels. One is an Asian Black (named Moon) and I have two of that breed, and Moon has a totally different body build than the other chickens. She is chunkier and much bigger. And then the other is a Rhode Island Red (named Sabine) and she has much longer tail feathers than the others, and a big-ish comb, too. I am asking for advice on if they are pullets or cockerels, and if there is any way to truly tell before they start to crow/lay eggs.

(Also, is there such thing as a silent rooster? Or can you train a rooster/cockerel not to crow?)

Post pictures please.
All roosters/cockerels crow and there can be no training to stop that. A few people use No Crow collars, but if a rooster can't crow then why do you have him? You can tell genders before egg laying.

Also what is an Asian black chicken? :)

You can tell to different degrees based on individual and age. The major tell is gender specific coloring and feathering.
hen and roo.jpg

So I have 5 four-month pullets (I hope they're female!), and two of them are looking like they may be cockerels. One is an Asian Black (named Moon) and I have two of that breed, and Moon has a totally different body build than the other chickens. She is chunkier and much bigger. And then the other is a Rhode Island Red (named Sabine) and she has much longer tail feathers than the others, and a big-ish comb, too. I am asking for advice on if they are pullets or cockerels, and if there is any way to truly tell before they start to crow/lay eggs.

(Also, is there such thing as a silent rooster? Or can you train a rooster/cockerel not to crow?)
Nice names, love it!
Pictures please?

Back
Top Bottom