Help!!! Immediate loss of feathers and death

Flowergoddesstn

Hatching
Jun 3, 2018
Help! I had two very healthy hens that have always free ranged in our protected backyard. I've had them almost a year. Last week, both of them died suddenly. Many of their feathers were strewn 2-3 feet from where they were laying. There were no wounds. I let my littles out and within 30 minutes of being outside the coop two of them died in the same manner. I saw the last one die and she lost the feathers before she seized and died. There was a very tiny "spot" underneath one of her wings, but no wounds as if attacked. No one has treated the yard or sprayed any chemicals. We are on a short cul-de-sac and no one could have set poison out.

All this is following day 12 of nursing a little back to health inside after an attack resulting in an inner ear infection. (She's sitting on my lap watching TV as I'm writing this‍♀️)

This chicken Mama is an emotional wreck. The two big hens were my first chickens and I miss seeing them walking around the backyard. The littles, who are about 2.5 months old, were the first flock I've raised since babies and I'm just so sad. I know it's obviously something around the fence or on the ground. Any ideas on what this could be? I just took one to the vet last week and really can afford to have a chicken autopsy (whatever that's called).

What do you mean by "spot"? Like a scab?

I'm really worried about poison, I know you said no one puts any out, but those sound like the symptoms my cats had before dying when they ate Bromethalin poison. It attacks the brain and causes death by seizures.

Could they have gotten into a garage?

Not to be disturbing, but do you still have the bodies? I think you should send them in for a necropsy. You can send them in to a state lab (assuming you are in the US?..)

It was like a sting or tiny bite. The fence is 8ft high and not around a structure where they could have gotten into anything. It seems like they all died within a 5 x 2 foot area right along the fence row. I even asked if he had sprayed weed kill or anything for insects and he hasn't. It's so strange.

I do still have the one that did tonight. I put her in a bag and box in the fridge to be keep her cool until I could figure out what to do with her tomorrow.

I'm in Tennessee. I just wonder how much it would cost. Like I said, I just spent money on a vet bill last week. . I just feel so heartbroken.

I would definitely send the body in for a necropsy. Have you seen hawks overhead? Are there raccoons about? Could botulism be a problem? That comes from eating a toxin in a carcass of a dead animal or fish. It can paralyze the whole body and cause feathers to be easily removed. Sorry for your loss. This link has contact info for 2 Tenn labs:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

No.... No hawks or other predators. Even a neighbor looked with me and there's literally nothing visibly amiss. I know there's something there I Can't see. I called one of those labs last week and a necropsy was $250. I'll try calling the other link tomorrow.

Thank you all for your input and wisdom. I'm just at a loss. It's my first flock and I've only got 3 out of 7 left.

I was loosing some birds and put up game cameras. I was surprised at the nightly critters that come around.

But on a positive note, this is Mavis. She was attacked 10 days ago and I was sure she was going to die. I cleaned her wounds and gave her lots of attention and she started perking up since. I have force fed and watered her with a syringe and kept her inside. She couldn't stand without falling over and her left eye had been swollen shut. I finally took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with an inner ear infection and given antibiotics. Her vet also prescribed honey to put into her ears twice a day. She is now eating on her own, standing without leaning and walking/hobbling to her mama! Her eye started opening up today too! I'm wondering if this is the making of a house chicken!

Attachments

• 124EC435-722C-4030-92FD-6B749B0E7993.jpeg
    124EC435-722C-4030-92FD-6B749B0E7993.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 19
  • E9AC85AD-5383-4AB6-AC2D-68D182085E25.jpeg
    E9AC85AD-5383-4AB6-AC2D-68D182085E25.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 694E6FF6-9C55-4983-BC41-070E0CA37287.jpeg
    694E6FF6-9C55-4983-BC41-070E0CA37287.jpeg
    830.4 KB · Views: 18
Help! I had two very healthy hens that have always free ranged in our protected backyard. I've had them almost a year. Last week, both of them died suddenly. Many of their feathers were strewn 2-3 feet from where they were laying. There were no wounds. I let my littles out and within 30 minutes of being outside the coop two of them died in the same manner. I saw the last one die and she lost the feathers before she seized and died. There was a very tiny "spot" underneath one of her wings, but no wounds as if attacked. No one has treated the yard or sprayed any chemicals. We are on a short cul-de-sac and no one could have set poison out.

All this is following day 12 of nursing a little back to health inside after an attack resulting in an inner ear infection. (She's sitting on my lap watching TV as I'm writing this‍♀️)

This chicken Mama is an emotional wreck. The two big hens were my first chickens and I miss seeing them walking around the backyard. The littles, who are about 2.5 months old, were the first flock I've raised since babies and I'm just so sad. I know it's obviously something around the fence or on the ground. Any ideas on what this could be? I just took one to the vet last week and really can afford to have a chicken autopsy (whatever that's called).
Hi, we had a chicken just pass this way. Did you ever get more information about what was wrong lots of feather loss, and then the sudden death and it appeared like maybe she was convulsing before hand

Hi guys, this morning I found my favorite chicken laying dead by our basketball hoop in our back yard. She was a well fed, healthy chicken who had no injuries at all. When we found her a lot of her feathers were scattered around and I don’t know what made her die.

Back
Top Bottom