1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Impacted Crop????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandystn, May 4, 2012.

1. sandystn

sandystn New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    I have 15 chicks that are 5 weeks old. One died last night of what i believe is an impacted crop. As I was putting them in the coop this evening I noticed another one has a large crop also. I am concerned that this one will die also. She is still eating and drinking and is very active. What am I doing that is causing this? Is there a special grit for chicks? or are they to young for grit? What can i do to prevent this from happening.
    I have been raising (hens) for 3 years and have never had this problem before. They have a pen that is attached to the coop and are outside during the day. I also have 11 adullt hens that share the same coop. They all seem to get along quite well.
    [​IMG]

2. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    There is chick grit. I would recommend using it. I hope they are ok!

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    You can use some grit from outside or some sand will probably work if you think the grit from the store is to big. I hope they get ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by