Help in NY

What part of NY are you in? It will depend on your local zoning. I lived in a rural area outside Syracuse a number of years ago, and you could have any livestock/fowl you wanted. If you're within town/city limits, you need to check your local zoning regulations. Good luck!

Im nowhere near town limits, how can i find these things out? im in the southern part of ny, thansk for the reply!!!!

NY

Albany, NY. Since 1999, no farm animal or fowl are allowed within the City of Albany. This include cows, cattle, horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, geese, Violators punishable by up to a $250 fine or by imprisonment for up to 15 days or both. New law allowing
chickens is being debated, so seek out fellow chicken-keepers if you live in Albany, NY and team up to get this law changed.
Binghamton, NY. In the city, you can not have more than 4 chickens OR rabbits. And can only keep them as long as the noise/smell doesn't bother your neighbors.
Huntington, NY. Residents are now allowed (as of July 2009) to keep up to 8 hens but no roosters. Per Chapter 78 article 3 of the town code. .
Ithaca, NY. The law explicitly prohibits keeping "poultry, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese or any other fowl" amongst other specific animals, and generally any other animal except domesticated pets.
New Hempstead, NY. The maintenance of 4 or fewer fowl (chickens, ducks, etc.) is permitted. No roosters. All fowl shall be kept in an enclosure area at least 75 feet from any lot line.
New York City, NY. Chickens are considered pets under the Health Code. Unlimited number of hens allowed; no roosters or other types of poultry. Code mentions cleanliness of chicken area must be kept clean.
Oswego, NY. Chickens not allowed. Can only have chickens that were "grandfathered."
Riga / Churchville, NY. Chickens allowed but all housing of livestock has to be 100 ft. off of any lot lines.
Schenectady, NY. You can't have an "accessory structure" for "the raising of livestock, poultry or other objectionable farming activities." Then again, it says, "All food within the City of Schenectady for feeding chickens, cows, pigs, horses and other animals shall be stored in rat-free and rat-proof containers or compartments or rooms, unless stored in a rat-proof building." Chapter 144-1 of the code says it covers "fowl" but only lists 4-footed livestock and says they can't run at large in the street. http://schenectadylandlords.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/codes20090701.pdf
Smithtown, NY. The only animal ordinance they appear to have is for horses. No rules on chickens, other than the eggs cannot be sold.
Syracuse, NY. Chickens sometimes allowed. Depends on zoning. No roosters.

from http://thecitychicken.com/chickenlaws.html

Don't
know if this is what you need. But you should call your local extension office, co-op, or county seat, as already suggested.​

big_smile.png
love learning about zoning laws. I hope to change some one day

Hi folks,
I was reading the posts in this thread, and I wanted to point out, so there is no confusion, that the post by Lotherial was a very nice gesture, but has a great deal of misinformation. Speaking specifically to the bit about the zoning in Ithaca, NY, you absulutely can have chickens and other poultry, as long as you live in an agricultural zone, which is just about anywhere outside the city limits.

Here's a link to Ithaca's zoning laws, to view as an example:

http://www.farmlandinfo.org/documents/30548/IthacaZoning.pdf

You can search the same site for links to your own municipality's zoning laws.

Last edited:
I live in Columbia County and we are zoned agricultural and residential. We had to go to the town board and talk to them. You will have to read them a couple of times as they right them as if everyone is a lawyer. I live outside of town and never had any issue. Do you know if you have the right to farm law in your area? Most towns in NY still have them on the books.

Back
Top Bottom