Help! Incubation Error

FlyAnywayAJ

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2017
Unfortunately on incubation day 5 for our chicken eggs we noticed our egg turner wasn’t plugged it! Oops :(
Anyhow what are the chances they’re ok? Or should we scrap them and start over?

Plug in the turner.
Wait a few days or a week, then candle the eggs to see how they're doing. Discard any that are dead at that time.

Even if they are never turned, some eggs might hatch--but regular turning gives better hatch rates :)

I recently saw a discussion on whether it was better for certain eggs (shipped, badly shaken) to be turned or not turned during the first week of incubation. Each side claimed "better" hatches their way. But BOTH sides got at least some eggs to hatch. So I think yours have a pretty good chance!

I recently saw a discussion on whether it was better for certain eggs (shipped, badly shaken) to be turned or not turned during the first week of incubation. Each side claimed "better" hatches their way. But BOTH sides got at least some eggs to hatch. So I think yours have a pretty good chance!

That’s really interesting! The idea that not turning would even be a consideration gives me hope!
Thanks

Well I’m not sure if anyone is following this any more but in case someone stumbles on this thread looking for the same information I figured I’d finish it off with my results:
Candling at 10 days resulted in removal of 17% of the eggs (higher than our average)
69% of those left in hatched alive and well (one pipped and never progressed)
Total hatch rate was 57% which is lower than normal for sure. We normally hatch about 75%. But I’m glad I gave them a chance! Live and learn

That's quite interesting! I'm glad you caught it in time to save that many, the data I've seen for not turning is pretty dire. But it was for not turning the whole first week, seems like that makes a big difference! Did you get more wrong end pips than usual?

Thanks for updating with your results.

That's quite interesting! I'm glad you caught it in time to save that many, the data I've seen for not turning is pretty dire. But it was for not turning the whole first week, seems like that makes a big difference! Did you get more wrong end pips than usual?

Thanks for updating with your results.

There was only one wrong end pip out of 25 pips. I was surprised too that the hatch wasn’t catastrophic. I half expected when I originally posted what happened people would tell me to scrap them and start again

Back
Top Bottom