HELP! Incubator is smelling bad in lockdown stage!!

Rotten eggs can have an overwhelming smell that makes it hard to actually identify which egg it's coming from because everything stinks when you open the incubator. If you have someone available to help you it might work to have them stay outside of the room you're in and bring the suspect eggs to them one at a time to see if they can determine which one stinks without their olfactory senses overwhelmed when you first open the bator.
If you decide to try this I would recommend overcompensating so that accidental drops don't happen. Like using a plastic shoe box with a folded towel inside to carry the eggs back and forth. lol

Rotten eggs can have an overwhelming smell that makes it hard to actually identify which egg it's coming from because everything stinks when you open the incubator. If you have someone available to help you it might work to have them stay outside of the room you're in and bring the suspect eggs to them one at a time to see if they can determine which one stinks without their olfactory senses overwhelmed when you first open the bator.
If you decide to try this I would recommend overcompensating so that accidental drops don't happen. Like using a plastic shoe box with a folded towel inside to carry the eggs back and forth. lol
Thank you!!

Update: I removed one of the eggs and since the bad smell has gone. However, it’s day 22 and I still have no sign of piping on any of the eggs. Any advice?

Update: I removed one of the eggs and since the bad smell has gone. However, it’s day 22 and I still have no sign of piping on any of the eggs. Any advice?

I'm glad you were able to find the stinky culprit. What kind of incubator are you using? Have you candled them to see if there is any movement or internal pips? If there aren't any external pips there's no harm in opening the incubator.
Do you have a secondary calibrated thermometer? If the temperatures have been low throughout incubation they may be delayed.

I'm glad you were able to find the stinky culprit. What kind of incubator are you using? Have you candled them to see if there is any movement or internal pips? If there aren't any external pips there's no harm in opening the incubator.
Do you have a secondary calibrated thermometer? If the temperatures have been low throughout incubation they may be delayed.
Uhmm... I’m using a HHD 56 egg fully automatic incubator. When I candled them for the stink there was movement, however I’m not quite sure what internal piping looks like. Do you mind sending a picture? And the temperature has been around 37.8 degrees Celsius through the whole incubation period so I don’t think the temperature has anything to do with it.

Uhmm... I’m using a HHD 56 egg fully automatic incubator. When I candled them for the stink there was movement, however I’m not quite sure what internal piping looks like. Do you mind sending a picture? And the temperature has been around 37.8 degrees Celsius through the whole incubation period so I don’t think the temperature has anything to do with it.
I googled what internal piping looks like, then I candled the eggs and there doesn’t seem to be any sign of internal piping. Help please!!

Those aren't very reliable incubators unfortunately and it's very important not have use a secondary calibrated thermometer to check against the temperature on the unit because it's not uncommon for them to be incorrect.

Those aren't very reliable incubators unfortunately and it's very important not have use a secondary calibrated thermometer to check against the temperature on the unit because it's not uncommon for them to be incorrect.
This is probably a dumb question but as you know I’m relatively new to this. what exactly is a secondary calibrated thermometer?

This is probably a dumb question but as you know I’m relatively new to this. what exactly is a secondary calibrated thermometer?

Secondary, meaning a thermometer other than the one on the unit and you want to calibrate the thermometer to make sure that it's accurate or you could be checking one bad thermometer against another bad thermometer. Just a sec and I'll get a link for you. I'm on my phone so I have to find it.

Back
Top Bottom