Help! Incubator Temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by samsrib, Sep 12, 2010.

1. samsrib

samsrib Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Oooooh anyone with wisdom...please share it with me.

My first incubator is a Little Giant. I have two thermometers in it, along with 17 eggs. One thermometer on the egg turning racks, holds steady at 99.5. I put the second thermometer, which is the exact same ( it was in the box the egg turner came in) on top of the eggs. That one reads 104. I have read another post from someone that when they placed 2 thermometers in the incubator, the one on the turner said 99.5 and the one on top of the eggs was 102. That is a 2 degree difference between the top of the eggs in MY incubator and the top of the eggs in THERE incubator.
    I have read that about 103 can kill the eggs.
    I am having trouble figuring out where the thermometer should go and what it should read in that location. We were very excited that the one on the turner has held a steady 99.5 but now, seeing the one on top of the eggs is so high, I am quite concerned.
    We would greatly appreciate any wisdom.

This is our first time hatching. The eggs are 2 Ameraucanas, 8 Delewares, 2 Black Copper Marans and 5 Rhode Island Reds. Hatch day is supposed to be Sept. 27th.
    thanks so much for your help

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I found this video it may help

I was given a LG incubator today but I haven't used it yet.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    best thing to do is add a fan, the kit for this bator is about $35-45, but i used a pc fan & it works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by