Help infected bump under wing !

Hammy79

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2017
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi noticed one of my girls had a drooping wing and after investigating I discovered a large lump on the joint of her wing that looks infected and is very swollen . Don't know what it is and if I should try and lance it or leave it as it is for now . It's feel like there is some thick fluid on the surface will post a pic . Please help

Are you sure it is infected? I don't see redness - the yellow stuff doesn't look like puss.

Is it hot? Soft or Hard - or feels fatty?

I wouldn't lance it unless you are certain it is an infection. But would consider trying to aspirate it with a very small needle - 25 gauge. And see what's inside.

Are you sure it is infected? I don't see redness - the yellow stuff doesn't look like puss.

Is it hot? Soft or Hard - or feels fatty?

I wouldn't lance it unless you are certain it is an infection. But would consider trying to aspirate it with a very small needle - 25 gauge. And see what's inside.
hi thanks for the reply , the large bump feels quite solid and there is a yellow type of blister on top thats slighty squidgy .
she seems in good health apart from the lump but its effecting her wing and i really would like to know what it is and if i can help .
thakns

I agree with sunflour that it doesn't really look like infection, but it's hard to tell in a picture. It is also possible that it is a tumor or cyst. If it is something that is growing rapidly, that would be a concern. I'm going to give you a link that might help, but in this case a biopsy may be the only way to know for sure. The pertinent info is in the answer to the question in the post here: http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/21zce-hello-bantom-chicken-gaind-lump.html

you must be very careful
when touching the bird or operating on the bird
wear plastic gloves and then
wash up directly without touching any thing else.
You need to wash the clothes you have on when handling the chicken.
This can be a cancerous growth.

hi thanks for the reply , the large bump feels quite solid and there is a yellow type of blister on top thats slighty squidgy .
she seems in good health apart from the lump but its effecting her wing and i really would like to know what it is and if i can help .
thakns

@coach723 's link sounds like the same or very similar problem.

Times like this are really frustrating in that most vets don't treat poultry. If you don't have vet you can talk with - you can see if your Ag Agent can help with their Aviary/Poultry experts - they could email the pic and question to get expert advice.

If it's cancer, there's nothing you can do to save her.
If it's a cyst ( and they can feel really firm because of a lot of fluid inside) - so, you can still try aspirating it to see if the inside is liquid, if it is them remove it. I would go in at the "blister" soft area.

Back
Top Bottom