Help: inflammation in tissues surrounding frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeidiN, Feb 19, 2019.

1. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    We have had some very cold nights. Our coop is dry and relatively draft free, accommodating ventilation needs. A few of our hens have frostbite on their wattles from dipping into the water bowl to drink. Today I noticed one of them, who seemed to have it worse than the others, has swelling between her wattles under her beak, causing her wattles to stick out instead of hang down.

Does this mean she has some sort of infection, secondary to the frostbite? No other symptoms. She appears to be eating and drinking, though I noticed it towards the end of the day when less eating is taking place, and I didn't think to check if her crop was full. What can we/should we do for her?
    We were going to bring her inside to a crate for the night, but she is tucked in between the others roosting, with her head facing away from the closed windows, so I honestly think shell be warmer with the flock than in the garage alone. I did give her some VetRX by mouth. We had a night that was -6 F a couple days ago, with the days staying below freezing.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience the edema makes them feel miserable for a while but eventually subsides. I think you made a good choice to leave her with the flock.

Miss Lydia and Eggcessive like this.
  3. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    The swelling looked better today, but I had to bring her in tonight because when I went out to check on them before lock down, I notice blood splattered all over the place. She either scraped her blackened, damaged comb tips on something, or a curious flock mate pecked her comb and it is bleeding quite a bit. We sprinkled corn starch on her to try to stop the bleeding, but every time she shakes her head, it starts bleeding again. We put a heating over the top of the crate in the garage so she won’t be cold. Hate to separate her, but don’t want her to be a victim of ruthless pecking.

4. Faverolle Lover

Faverolle Lover Songster

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    Good idea, especially if there was blood. I had a roster with a similar problem once, he looks fine now but I had a few birds that always pecked at something red and separating him helped him a lot.
    If you are keeping her in an area that doesn't freeze at night, put some Vaseline on the swollen and scabbed areas. If she's in the garage or someplace where it is possible that it might freeze again, use Neosporin. Vaseline has water in it and can make frostbite worse of it freezes while Neosporin doesn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: