HELP! Injured chicken from dog attack

bumpercarr

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Tularosa, New Mexico
Okay, so two dogs got into my coop two nights ago and killed everything except one hen and one 6 week old chick. The chick is doing fine, I treated it for shock and despite the loss of an eye and a back wound, it is eating and drinking on its own. It is getting antibiotics in the water and is moving around normally.

The older pullet (8 months old) is not doing well at all. She had a serious neck wound and a less serious chest wound. Again, treated for shock. She is unable to lift up her head at all. She cannot eat or drink on her own. I've been giving her what I can feed her through a syringe or an eyedropper, but am unable to tube feed her by myself. She is listless and just stands in the hospital coop (dog crate) with her head down on the ground. She moves occasionally but only a few steps. I called the vet and he gave me some pain/anti-inflammatory meds and some stronger antibiotics for her. She gets these once a day and has had one treatment.

So, these are my concerns. Is it possible that she had brain damage? Is this why she doesn't lift her head? That is my biggest concern right now, if she can't lift her head, she'll have to be hand fed for the rest of her life. I won't do that to her. Should I just go ahead and euthanize her?

Advice/assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did she get her tendons torn that hold her musculature to her skull, in her neck? If so, she isn't lifting her head because she can't, and she won't ever again without surgical repair.

Did she get her tendons torn that hold her musculature to her skull, in her neck? If so, she isn't lifting her head because she can't, and she won't ever again without surgical repair.
I don't know. I didn't see any exposed tendons (or piece of them) in her wound. Looked to me like the skin was torn, but the rest was intact. But, you might be right. If so, I think my only option will be to put her down. She perked up a little bit when I took her out to feed/water her about 1/2 an hour ago. She actually struggled a little when I opened her mouth, which is a good sign. She seemed to like that I grasped her neck gently and held her head up, sort of stretching the neck out while I did that. At first I thought it was pain making her keep her head down, but now I'm not so sure. I'll give her another day with my physical therapy and see if things improve.

Back
Top Bottom