Help - Injured chicken from fox attack

deisgnliz878

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
My ckicken was attack by a fox yesterday. Her foot was injured but my real concern is her backside where it seems like her insides are hanging out about 1 inch and she is dripping fluid from the wound. She is a very special pet and I really need to help her but do not know what to do. Please help

Last edited:
My ckicken was attack by a fox yesterday. Her foot was injured but my real concern is her backside where it seems like her insides are hanging out about 1 inch and she is dripping fluid from the wound. She is a very special pet and I really need to help her but do not know what to do. Please help

Explain insides hanging out from backside. Do you mean her vent area or her back? Are internal organs damaged in any way? If internal organs are fine,gently place back in,clean wound,this probably has to be stitched up. Use thread and a needle to stitch,i prefer a natural thread like cotton or silk,but it does not matter as you will be removing stitches. Sterilize needle till "red hot",sterilize thread with rubbing alcohol. Clean and disinfect wound,and area around wound(at least a three inch diameter in all directions)Tie each stitch off separately. Apply a antibiotic ointment generously to stitched wound and her foot(nothing ending in "cane/caine"toxic to chickens).Give her a baby aspirin for pain,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight(you can also use a regular 325 mg aspirin,just follow the same dose 25mg per lb of body weight). If she is bleeding profusely,do not give aspirin just yet,wait till bleeding stops. Leave stitches in for approx 7-10 days,check wound after this time,if it is healing remove stitches. Watch for infection,signs of infection are: redness,severe swelling,foul smell from wound,hen acting lethargic,not eating/drinking(this can also result from pain). Start her on antibiotics for infection. Keep her inside,monitor her and make sure she is eating/drinking(dehydration can happen very fast if she is not drinking)you may want to give her some electrolytes if she shows sings of being in shock or not drinking properly.

Last edited:

Please see attached phot. It also has maggot. I am not sure what is coming our of her behind. Hopefully you can tell

Please see attached phot. It also has maggot. I am not sure what is coming our of her behind. Hopefully you can tell

That is her vent.and the white stuff looks like watery poop. Before you do anything,get rid of the maggots,the eat rotting and fresh flesh. Have you not cleaned this wound? Clean this really well,it will probably take quite a few cleanings to get rid of maggots,keep her inside,you do not want a repeat of maggot infestation. Look for any tears in vent area,there may be tears in internal lining. After this has been cleaned,then you can better asses the wound. This poor girl is in pain,give her electrolytes asap and aspirin for pain.

Last edited:
Yes I cleaned it a few hours ago with iodine but will clean it again. Once I remove all the maggots do I need stitch or will it heal naturally? Thanks for your prompt replies.

Yes I cleaned it a few hours ago with iodine but will clean it again. Once I remove all the maggots do I need stitch or will it heal naturally? Thanks for your prompt replies.

Depends on how large the wound is and just exactly where it is on her vent. My concern is internal injuries. Chickens do heal very fast,but you have to watch for infection. After wound is completely cleaned of all debris,can you post another picture,this will help in assessing wound care.

Hi. Just cleaned her again. Please see photo.

Used iodine. What else can I do for her. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom