HELP!! Injured chicken wont eat now/ strange stomach noises

missdelia

Chirping
9 Years
May 19, 2015
Well, after a year of just reading helpful information as we built a coop, raised day old chicks, dealt with a surprise rooster and weathered a new england winter with our six lovely free-range hens - I am finally needed to post for HELP!!

six days ago our flock was attacked by a fox in the middle of the day while they were free ranging in our front yard. - he killed 4 and injured 1 (1 managed to escape completely unscathed) before my husband chased him off. I am posting about the injured hen. She is a 1 yr old buff orpington. She has 2 punctures on her back - clearly where he clamped down. They were never bleeding though (seemed like he partially "skinned"her alive - because there is a flap of skin and feathers but no bleeding...) and we applied several coats of bluKote. She was also laying down - not wanting to hold herself up - and when she does she perches forward with her neck. The first few days I was able to get yogurt and water into her, then a scrambled egg -and the past few days she has been eating (from my hand only) lots of sunflower seeds and raisins. Starting last night she flat out refused to eat anything .She will still drink water though. EVERYTIME she does eat or drink, I hear the strangest gurgling noises where I think her stomach is? (like a person's stomach growling). Today she also had several large, bright green, seedy poops. Undigested sunflower seeds? I have not given her any antibiotic and am wondering if I should give her some at this point? Should I start forcing yogurt into her like I have seen in some other posts? After the first 2 days she did not want anything to do with the yogurt -but would happily take a raisin or sunflower seed. Did I push her too fast? Could something be wrong with her stomach also? She was perkier the last few days too - moving and walking around more. REALLY hoping someone can help me - I am at a loss for what to do next and was thinking we were over the worst of it??!!!
Thanks for all the wonderful wisdom I have already learned so much from over the past year - really hoping for some that will help me with Miss Delia. I really do NOT want to spend $$ to take her to a vet - especially since we are already spending $$$ to purchase an electric fence so they can "free-range" and be protected - and planning to get more chickens

I am dealing with the same issue only with a goose. The gurgling you heard might be the from all the water she is drinking in her croup . I wouldn't b too concerned with the noises. Hope you get help and she gets better !

Back
Top Bottom