Help! injured coturnix quail

beakkeeper

Songster
13 Years
Jul 20, 2008
We’ve had our little guys outside for about a week now. Came home from an overnight trip and found this one with his wing half ripped off! It looks so bad—possibly even gangrenous, I don’t know how he’s alive right now but he’s acting perfectly normally.

They’re in a fully enclosed pen with hardware cloth walls. They have access to a walled hutch but do not use it. We did have one small area by the gate where it looked like something possibly was sneaking in but it was so small. Could they be getting this aggressive with each other? Is this a predator? If so what kind and how can I prevent it happening again? How can I treat this little guy?

Thanks everyone.

udkcbh6mww771.jpg

Your picture doesn't really show how badly damaged the wing is. If it is gangrenous, your options are a vet or cull. You'd be amazed at how much damage a rat can do. Rats, ferrets, and weasels can fit into amazingly small openings. It is far more likely that a predator was able to reach in and grab a quail that was too close to it. Raccoons will do that.

Start with washing the wing and seeing how bad it really is. Post pics, please.

I can't see what's going on in the picture above either but if I had a bird with its wing half ripped off I would kill it and end it suffering.

Your picture doesn't really show how badly damaged the wing is. If it is gangrenous, your options are a vet or cull. You'd be amazed at how much damage a rat can do. Rats, ferrets, and weasels can fit into amazingly small openings. It is far more likely that a predator was able to reach in and grab a quail that was too close to it. Raccoons will do that.

Start with washing the wing and seeing how bad it really is. Post pics, please.
Hey there, thanks for your reply. I was able to catch him and get better pictures—it is a really bad injury including exposed broken bone and gangrene. No idea how he’s still acting so normal. Poor little guy. I put him in a separate space for the night but knew we would likely have to euthanize him :’(

My guess is a rat or raccoon was able to grab at him through the small opening that was dug in the one area we don’t have hardware cloth skirting—the door. We fortified the area with wood and bricks and stopped up any other areas where the hardware cloth left a gap. Sincerely hope that keeps the little birdies safe, sucks to see them hurt.

The feathers of the wing are ripped off and the wing itself has greenish flesh (upper arrow) and a large scab. Broken bone is visible (lower arrow)

Back
Top Bottom