HELP: Injured ducks due to dog attack! **UPDATE: bloody wing still!**

They seem to be doing good this morning. Wings are still droopy and still can't tell if I should do something about it, wounds seem to be healing up well (scabbed over). They are happy in the garage and I think I might actually get an egg from them soon...unless it's because of some injury they seem to have a swollen area low on their underside where I expect an egg would be kept. So I hope I continue to have good news.
smile.png

Quote:
Look in the cooler. I live in WA and you can get injectable tylan 50, injectable pen and pen g (penicillin). Look for those, pen will be in the cooler. Not labeled for use on poultry, becaue it's not worth the expense for the company to get it labeled for use on poultry (they have to go through more trials, R&D, etc, very expensive process).

So sorry to see how much damage has been done, I use Bluekote alot someone on here recommended it and it is great for healing but you sure have be careful it will stain clothes skin etc. but wouldn't be without it. Hope they heal up quickly

I run a bird, duck and chicken rescue and have gotten several severely injure ducks and chicken. One duck came in after being hit by two cars and her back end has been totally skinned and her leg was broken and the bone was sticking out. Of course this happened on Christmas Eve night so my vet wasn't available when she was dropped off at our house. I was trained by a wildlife sanctuary and basic avian first aid from my avian vet so I pretty much know what to do in such emergencies.

Here is what I would suggest. Get some iodine or betatine, and dilute it 1 part of iodine to 10 parts of water. Rinse the open wound areas twice a day with the iodine/betadine solution. Since this was dog inflicted, they really do need to be put on antibiotic injections or orally. The skinned areas will not grow skin back, some of the tissue will die, so gentle debridement will be necessary.

To dress the wounds, use honey. My avian vet said that honey is a natural antibiotic and even he uses it on deep wounds to promote healing. Honey has healing properties. The skin won't grow back over the areas, and if you do find maggots, that won't necessary be a bad thing. Maggots eat only dead tissue. I have an Americauna hen, Phoenix, that was hit by a car and sat on the side of the road fo 4 days before I got her. The maggots are what saved her live and kept her from getting an infection.

I think your ducks have a great chance, as long as they are kept clean and their wounds are cleaned twice a day.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you so much for that information, Kasia. I have to say it's a bit overwhelming though. I've cleaned the wounds with a (very) little peroxide, then neosporin and that's really it. I have NO idea how to do debridement. How long will that be necessary? I guess if the skin won't grow back then I shouldn't have hope for feathers either.
sad.png
The larger part of the wound seems to have become like a scab, only the center area doesn't seem to have closed up. I guess that's part of what you are talking about.

Any other information you are willing to give me, I would really appreciate. I guess I've waited too long to reset the wings if the bone is broken, they look like they have lazy wing. Well, off to check on the babies and clean wounds for the night. Thanks again.

I had my ducks attacked by something (i never did find out what) and I seperated them and put honey and tiny bit of iodine in thier wounds. They healed fine on their own. They are actually very good at healing themselves.

Back
Top Bottom