HELP: Injured ducks due to dog attack! **UPDATE: bloody wing still!**

maralynn28

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Corpus Christi, TX
Hi all,
My ducks are really hurt. I was out so I didn't see what happened but my neighbor told me that they heard a ruckus from the duck pen and they found a loose dog in their pen attacking the ducks and pinning them down. Her husband was kind enough to intervene but they said they didn't recognize the dog. Yes, they do have a dog of their own but he is always inside or on a leash so I don't suspect them at all. These neighbors have been the kindest to us since we moved here.

All the ducks are acting stiff and mellow, much different than their spunky selves.
Two of the ducks appear to have wing injuries, one actually has blood around it but I don't know if the wings are broken?

My MAIN CONCERNS are the WH who are worst off, they have large chunk missing from their backs (under the wings) and a small one where I think the oil gland would be with blood on tail. The wounds aren't bleeding but they do look dirty (like scab with dirt and feathers) and maybe oozing? I couldn't really tell as the ducks weren't very cooperative, poor babies.

I know nothing about what to do! They don't look like they are bleeding any longer, I put them in a clean tub of water while I inspected them but I don't know how to go about cleaning their wounds or anything else I should do. They are sweethearts but didn't allow me to inspect them too well, I'm sure the wounds are painful. I will try to see if I can post pictures later, but right now I need to give myself a time out to stop crying.

I guess all this boils down to how do I treat their deep wounds? How do I know if there are broken bones that I need to fix and how do I fix? And if there is an issue with her oil gland injured/missing will there be any complications for that? I don't have money and would like to treat them myself but if you all say things are worse than they look then I might consider taking them to vet (even though I promised DH I wouldn't). They are only 19 wks old and I've gotten way too attached to them already.
hit.gif

Last edited:
So sorry.

Just calm down and check them over one by one. You have kids so you certainly have experience with first aid. You can pretty much treat them like people. Clean the wound and put a little antibiotic ointment on it. Don't try to dress a wound unless it is really big; if you feel you must, vet wrap around the area will hold a dressing much better than tape. Same stuff is sold in drug stores for people; it's a stretchy tape looking stuff that sticks to itself only.

Birds with deep wounds probably also need an injectable antibiotic. In chickens, many would use Tylan, from the feed store or TSC.

Boil out a deep wound with peroxide the first time, to get the garbage out. Betadine kills germs. But both also kill new tissue so shouldn't be used after the initial cleaning, unless you just have to because the wound is that bad.

One caution. "Caine" drugs like benzocaine and lidocaine can kill a chicken so I wouldn't chance them with a duck.
They use them sometimes as pain killers in antibiotic labels. The pain killer in Neosporin is perfectly safe on chickens; it is a different type of drug.

There is lots more info on here if you need more help, or just ask us if you can't find what you need.

And best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
hugs.gif
I am so sorry this happened, attacks are always devastating.
sad.png

My experience is limited, but I will offer my meager knowledge.
I examine everyone from head to toe get someone to help you hold them down if needed. The lethargy is probably them is shock. Any wounds I would scrub clean and fill with Neosporin or some other antiseptic. Keep the wounds CLEAN or you will get maggots. Give them plain yogurt to boost their system and buy some Tri-Vi-Sol baby vitamins iron free. As for broken bones...I have no idea, maybe wrapping securely depending on the area until you get a more experienced person's advice.
I know chickens are hardy and can withstand pretty rough wounds and be OK I don't know about ducks, I am
fl.gif
it is the same.

Last edited:
I have been through this before....My male Muscovy fought off a raccoon. His backside was so tore up I thought he would die...I even went as far as telling my hubby to "Let him Rest in Peace" but thanks to my hubby he would not do this..."Groucho" took a long time to heal and he looked horrible for almost a year. He had chunks missing from his back and he was bloody and you could see no feathers...I would hate to see the raccooon he tore up too, but back to my point...the only thing I did for him was make sure he had clean water to bath in..I also caught him a few times and put neosporin on the open sores....when he looked a little better I put natural lavender oil which I know helped him heal faster.

What you have to remember is to be patient and if they are eating and cleaning themselves it is a good sign. Nature knows what to do when this happens and although it hurts you have to trust them.

After further inspection, and the great responses from you all I have HOPE!
So far, I sprayed the wounds with warm saline spray then applied neosporin and some ointment from the feed store to keep the flies/maggots away. Then we moved them into the garage with clean hay and water so they can stay clean and warm.
Their wings do worry me, they are hanging from their sides and they do move them when they stretch but you can tell it's painful and doesn't function properly. I don't know if it is broken or just hurt/sprained?
The wounds are deeper than I originally thought, my husband actually had to help me cut off some pieces of skin that were dangling but they don't appear to have any internal injuries or leg problems. One WH has a wound on her beak and one of her eyes is a little foamy but I can't see any injury to it. Oh, and I think the oil gland is fine, it is just above that area that the wound is found.
For now they will stay in the garage and I will be checking on them throughout the day to make sure they are comfortable and to reclean their wounds as necessary.

What is really frustrating is that the feed stores here in WA don't sell antibiotics and the vet won't give them to me (even if I show them the gruesome photos) unless I actually take the ducks in for a visit...which is no less than 45 mins away and 70 bucks per duck.
somad.gif
So I'm hoping the antibiotic cream will be enough and they don't need the oral/injection.

Thank you all again for helping me and giving me hope.

I would have to order it online I guess, I was told it is WA state law that they are not allowed to sell antibiotics without prescription. Cenex is the only other place I can think of and they are closed today. I will check with them tomorrow to see what they are able to help with.

I had somethin similair happen to a rooster of mine. I just cleaned the wound with betadine, and checked it every so often (he did get maggots in it, but I picked them out with tweezers, and kept bacitracin on it after that and it healed up just fine).

I'm adding photos so you can all see the damage the dog did to my beauties. I will start from least gruesome to the worst so you have a chance to stop if it gets to be too much for you. These photos were taken before I was able to clean the wounds. I wasn't able to clean them out too well but it is better and I trimmed the feathers that were getting into the wounds.

Bolt looks like her eye is injured but I can't see any injury other than the blood and scar on her beak. The eye had a little foam in it...
50300_sprintphoto_b3wuvc.jpg

Don't know if you can see this, this is the area in her wing where it looks hurt and I can't tell if it's broken.
50300_sprintphoto_bam3ve.jpg

I guess you can't really see on this pic but there is a deep crescent shaped wound under these feathers.
50300_sprintphoto_bqe4la.jpg

Stormtrooper has the worst injury, this giant chunk taken from her backside...it is deep. This is the wound I worry most about, we had to remove the skin flap that was dangling.
50300_sprintphoto_bn2w3c.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom