Help injured hen

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Tonight when i went to lock up the girls i noticed droplets of blood in the coop. My girls free range during the day and go in and out of the coop. One of my buff orpingtons seems to have a comb wound. Not sure what happened but she has blood on her head and around the comb. I didnt want to mess with it tonight because it seems to be clotting and I plan to crate her in the morning. She was acting fine and ran to eat when I added food to the coop and ate fine. What should i do?

If you have any Blue Kote...you can apply some to her comb...that would stop any of the chickens pecking at any bloody areas...if her wound looks bad you can use a betadine in water solution to clean her up...

If you have a Rooster...he may well have caused the damage to her comb...

I would just make sure her bleeding stops tonight. She was probably pecked or injured her comb on something. It will clot on it's own or you can dab some blood stop powder, styptic, or flour on it if the bleeding is serious. Check her first thing in the AM to make sure they are not pecking her.

Clean up with peroxide and warm water. Lock her away from the flock, if you see further injures. Other than that she should be fine. Post pics for a better judgement of her wounds please.

Ok so this morning I went to let all of the girls out and the injured hen seems ok. She ran out for their treat. It seems the middle section of her comb was ripped off. It isnt bleeding anymore and the blood dried black so the others dont seem to be picking at her. I'm going to let her free range today and watch the others to make sure they don't mess with her.

It looks like the blood has dried, and she seems to look okay. Betadine, Neosporin, BluKote, or Vetericyn spray are all good to put on the comb to help healing. Sometimes they can get injured on sharp objects around the coop, or on metal feeders. Watch to make sure another hen is not bullying her. Sometimes they will try to challenge another for food, and this can happen.

I let her out with the others and today when i went out to check on everyone another hen jumped at her and kicked her with her feet. Her wound isnt reopened and shes foraging fine. What do i do at this point? Earlier i went out to get eggs and she was roosting in the coop as if to hide.

Back
Top Bottom