Help injured Pullet!!!

ashnnick

Chirping
Jan 18, 2016
I went to check in my flock and found one of my barred rock pullets limping on the L leg. I assessed her and couldn't find a visible injury from the leg down to the foot. She allows me to touch it but favors it while walking. Please help I'm not sure what to do. Should I separate her from and rest? Can i give her anything for pain? She's still eating and drinking.

It's possible she injured it while jumping down from the roost. She could have anything as easily mended as a pulled muscle to something more delicate like a hairline fracture. I suggest keeping her in a place where she doesn't have to do a whole lot of walking, and especially not jumping, so that she can rest her leg. If the condition continues after a few days, then I would call around to see if one of your local vets treats chickens. Vitamin water and as little stress as possible may also be helpful.

Thankyou for your response. I've given vitamin water. I was hesitant to pull her from the Flock bc they are not bothering her but I do want her to heal. She's laying by the water in the coop right now; should I just go ahead and bring her in? I have a dog kennel I can put her in

That's probably a good idea. Letting her out (under supervision) a couple times a day for a 10-15 exercise with her friends would probably help keep her spirits up, not to mention keep her leg from getting stiff.

Thanks for the advice. We moved her to the kennel and pampered her to help her feel better (warm Epson salt bath). We plan to keep a close eye on her and hope for a speedy recovery
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom