help! injured quail

sky68ou1

Songster
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
thomasville nc
my son's little button quail is injured badly. its upper beak is broke from the other quail picking on it. is there anything i can do to help it instead of putting it down? or should i just go ahead with the deed? this is his pet so please keep that in mind.

Can it eat? Is it bleeding? Can you post a picture? That would really help. Make sure it's getting food and water and is warm and quiet; keep it away from the others!

Last edited:
i do have it by itself. it was bleeding but not now. i dont know if its eating or drinking so i have been pushing a little into it hoping it will heal the best it can and survive. i bought it as a treat for my son for being good at school. its his pet not mine and i dont want to lose it but i dont want it to suffer no more than it has already. i know if it survives it will be handicapped for the rest of its life and thats ok if we have to give it care like that. i do not want it to suffer though. if its gonna be in pain all the time or be seriously hindered from living any kind of decent life then id rather not make it go thru that. i just need some advice on it is all.

my camera doesnt take good close ups or i would post a pic. i can say this about it if it helps to give a better understanding of its injury. it was nearly pecked completely off on the upper beak before i managed to get it out of the cage with the others. the piece of meat that connects with the upper beak and the nasal cavity that is. the beak is now slightly crooked from it and when it first happened it would move a little side to side. so far its scared and in pain but holding its on.

i made some "mush" with some start and grow mixed with game feed and water. i have used a medicine dropper to feed it some to make sure its getting something in it. am i wrong for doing this?

So the upper beak is still intact? If it is still completely there but is loose, it is very important that it doesn't come off completely. If it does, my advice would be to put the bird down. However, I'm no expert. You need a vet, possibly an avian vet, but any vet would be good right now. Even if the vet usually does, for example, exotic birds or parakeets, a chicken or quail is still in their line of work. That's what our normal vet told us for our flock.
For now, keep it quiet. If it panics, it could hurt the beak. It sounds like the mush was a good idea! I wouldn't give the bird anything that requires it to use its beak. Make sure its getting water, and don't try to clean the wound with anything like peroxide, etc. That will just make the wound worse.
If I'm picturing this correctly, it can heal from this and live a normal life. Keep up the good work!

Edited: Just found this; maybe it'll help: http://www.vetsnearyou.com/ml2/?v=4...F80718B4A705&gclid=CJzCsN_g2J0CFSUMDQoddRmpqw

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom