HELP! Injured Rooster

* Here's what will hopefully be my only attempt at poetry on this site: " Head wounds bleed like the dickens-- in grown-ups, their kids and in chickens. Be well prepared for the sight -- so you don't black out like a light. "
tongue.png
(p.s-- I use peroxide for just about everything, and *sometimes* 20 vol. cosmetology strength. It WILL definitely damage (acid burn) skin, but I rarely let it set long enough, or spread it widely. Circumstances, severity, infection, location, etc. all go into deciding whatever I use. Peroxide just works for me most of the time & I'm used to using it, that's all.

Last edited:
I dont know how long it has been since you first posted. BUt along with cleaning up his comb I would have put some gator aid or pedi lite down him. I do this when my chickens get hurt and loose a lot of blood. The sugar and electrolytes really help them out a ton.

i just checked on him, he's still 'roosting', snoozing away. he did eat something, so that's a plus.

i will try the gatorade idea later on, see if he's up for that.

I am surprise that he didnt decide to wake you up by crowing. I think he will be just fine. People dub the combs off theirs all the time and dont have problems with them bleeding out. It looks ugly I am sure but it could be just like a cut on the head to a human. Looks like they will bleed to death but its just a scratch.

some electrolytes will help him with stress.
some vitamins wouldn't hurt.
extra protein..cooked egg is ok.

sugar, or even a dab of flour can help stop bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom