Help - injured silkie

jam-min

Hatching
Mar 17, 2022
Hi All

Had a disaster today, brought home our silkies a few days ago and was slowly introducing my dogs( English bulldog) to them through their enclosure. in short the dog got into the garden and pushed his was through the wire mess and attacked the chickens. resulting in 4 deaths and one injured.

Non of them had any puncture wounds or bleeds but 4 were not breathing and the injured silkie was in shock.

i have separated injured silkie and wrapped it in blanket and placed it somewhere warm. But she will not open eyes and has her head limp into her body. She will move slightly if stimulated but she doesn't seem to be improving attack happened around 8 hrs ago.

Any advice?

Treat her for shock with one cup warm water with a teaspoon of sugar stirred in with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give it to her via oral syringe if she is unable to drink on her own. Treat for the next 24 hours.

Treat her for shock with one cup warm water with a teaspoon of sugar stirred in with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Give it to her via oral syringe if she is unable to drink on her own. Treat for the next 24 hours.
Hi do i just gently put it in her beak and slowly press syringe fluid in?

Sorry totally new and didn't expect to have to deal with any issues so early in having them.

Just an FYI that may or may not apply to your silkie throughout hee life. Silkies are very sensitive to stress. They can develop anxiety disorders and autoimmune issues because of trauma. I found this out the heartbreaking way with one of my silkies. She's actually experiencing a flare of immune system disfunction right now because she felt anxious sleeping in her coop...she feels safe in the house in a dog crate or on the back of our recliner (we have TONS of rag towels!)

Our Rosie lays soft-shelled and shell-less eggs, gets a slow digesting watery crop, and stops eating and drinking all together....even her beloved grubs don't appeal to her during these times.

After lots of trips to the vet, we now better understand our sweet girl and why she's frequently sick. I hope your hen bounced back and has no long-term consequences from this trauma, but if she does I have a few tricks I've learned and am happy to share them.

Good luck and I'm sorry this happened.

Give her plenty of time to rest for the trauma. If she doesn't eat, maybe consider giving her nutridrench or sugar water with electrolytes (I've heard Gatoraide works). You can check other BYC threads about injured fowl, they really help with advice!

Last edited:
Hi All

Had a disaster today, brought home our silkies a few days ago and was slowly introducing my dogs( English bulldog) to them through their enclosure. in short the dog got into the garden and pushed his was through the wire mess and attacked the chickens. resulting in 4 deaths and one injured.

Non of them had any puncture wounds or bleeds but 4 were not breathing and the injured silkie was in shock.

i have separated injured silkie and wrapped it in blanket and placed it somewhere warm. But she will not open eyes and has her head limp into her body. She will move slightly if stimulated but she doesn't seem to be improving attack happened around 8 hrs ago.

Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom