Help interpret findings of our amateur autopsy...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by glenny, Apr 21, 2012.

1. glenny

glenny Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Hello, my year old buff orpington died unexpectedly this morning. She'd been spry and eating well. Her body was heavy and well feathered and there was no obvious discoloration or external signs of illness. Our amateur autopsy revealed lots of clotted blood in her body cavity along with a lot of liquid. She had a big fat pad in her abdomen so she wasn't malnourished. We also retrieved one perfect egg from her body. Does anyone have a clue about what might have happened? This isn't the result of being egg-bound is it? One other important fact. The bleeding was not from injury due to a predator attack. The chick mahal is enclosed.
    Blossom was the first of my flock to die and I'm feeling the sadness only a greenhorn experiences...
    Thanks for your input.
    Glenda

2. RedComet

RedComet New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    While i've never done an autopsy on a chicken, it could have been egg bound, it might cause the blood to clot. I am sorry for your loss tho[​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think it's unusual to have alot of blood and fluid in her body cavity. Lord knows what happened. Was anything noticeably bleeding?

4. jdavis

jdavis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    middle tennessee
    check the crop for sharp objects we had one to eat cuckleburrs once and it caused her to die the same way, also could have been sour crop .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by