HELP! Introducing 1 hen into a flock of 3?!

C KL

Hatching
Oct 16, 2017
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. Im new to chicken keeping and this is my first flock. I have 3 hens that I got around 4 weeks ago. 1 rescue LB, Cream Legbar and a Lavender Leghorn. .....well this weekend I thought how lovely to add in a Silkie !...
So I went back to the farm I got the other 3, silly me didn't think twice about just placing her in the Coop with the flock. Before I could even put her feet on the ground they attacked her. The CB (who usually is at the bottom of the pecking order) jumped straight on her back and started pecking her. Immediately I grabbed her and took her out.

Ive done some research and realised its supposed to be a gradual thing so yesterday I put the silkie in my dogs crate next to the coop where she spent the day, today Ive put the crate inside the coop for the day. How long do you think I should do this for and Ive also been reading up that its best to introduce in number no less than 2? Will she get mauled if shes on her own? All the other hens are double her size and cant stand the thought of her getting really hurt. Would it be a good idea to maybe get another silkie and do this process together?

Please help!!

I've never been in the situation, but I just got 3 chicks and have been thinking about it a lot, just in case only 1 is a pullet. I would keep the silkie in the coop, with wire between her and the others for a few weeks. Then I would let the silkie out to free range, with maybe your gentlest hen for a few days. Maybe they will get along and the silkie would have an ally. Then introduce them during free range.

Hi! Welcome to BYC! You'll find lots of experience here. One thing most will tell you is that it's very difficult to mix standard breeds with bantam breeds, especially a single. It may never work. If you have your heart set on Silkies, consider separate housing.

That said, integration takes much longer than a couple days. I've successfully added singles (standard to flock of standards) and they are integrated inside of three weeks.

Here's an article I wrote detailing the process. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

Do your chickens free range, or are they cooped in a house?
Definitely do not just pluck a chicken in there in broad daylight. Especially if it is small, and looks really weird to other chickens. Like your silkie. Best way to see if it will work, or what I have always done, because our chickens free range, is cage the chickens inside the coop for a few days, so they know that it is their home. Then when you do transfer them, put them on the roost when it is dark. This doesn't make sure that your chickens won't pick on her, because they probably will. But make sure she has room to get away, and maybe separate feeders and stuff. They are going to pick on her a lot more if they are cooped up. It would be nice for your silkie if she could have a companion.

Agreed with Azygous. Single integration is tricky. Especially with an odd looking duck like a silkie. Chickens DO notice a difference. And they can be prejudiced. Also, can you tell us what the dimensions of your coop (L x W x H) and your run are. Available space can be a huge issue with integration.

This has happened to me, and yes the other hens were twice the size as the one that I brought. They will get used to each other, sometimes it may take a long time but a few days ago, I brought 2 chicks and my other chicks were attacking them. I put them together, they fought and pecked each other really hard but they got used to each other and now they are very calm. Although sometimes 2 of them start fighting but that's because I think that one of the smaller chicks is a rooster and the other bigger chick is for sure a rooster so they are probably fighting because of that. But your chickens will get used to each other if you put them together.

There are a lot of variables. Chicken temperaments differ and coop and run sizes can also play a large role in how easily new chickens integrate. Some folks experience an easy integration because everything favors it. Others don't have smooth sailing due to different circumstances.

Therefore, we recommend caution when integrating different sizes and breed specialties such as Polish and Silkies. And we always urge people to consider the space factor when deciding to expand their flock with even so much as one chicken.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

So they dont free range sadly, our area has a very very high number of cats so wouldnt want to take that risk. They have a large Coop to share, its 15ft x 10ft x 10ft. The farm I got all of them from they shared a horse stable together, with lots of other breeds of chickens large and small and they did have some silkies in with them.

So would you suggest maybe getting another Silkie so they can do this together?

I Probably sound really silly but at the moment the silkie is in my dogs old crate in the coop with them. Obviously I dont want to keep her in that crate for a few weeks. If I let her free range around the Garden while I am there is therr any way to help get them back in after ? I have a lot of trees/bushes and a very long garden which backs onto busy traffic so bit on edge to let her run riots.

Thank you for all your help!

Sadly, I think if you get another silky, you will have two birds that are picked upon. Smaller 'different' birds are always picked on. Silkies raised in mixed flocks generally do well, but depending upon circumstances can be impossible to integrate into established flocks. Is there the possibility of another coop/run just for silkies ? Everyone needs at least two coops. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom