Help:Introducing a young rooster to an older rooster

Jheila

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Florida
I currently have 5 young, teenager chickens, one being a rooster. I wanted to get another beautiful, halfblind, older rooster from a local sanctuary. I might be getting his friend whos completely blind too. These guys are fully grown roosters, and I'm a little weary of how to introduce them to my pullet sized Dominique rooster.
I already have a dog pen set up with the pullets inside our 12x16ft run, around 2-3 hens will be coming with the rooster(s) as well.
Any tips? I was told to keep the hens in the pen for around two weeks before letting them out, should the rooster stay longer?

I got a big basket of mum flowers and put it so it's sticking out of the pen so both sides of the flock can eat them peacefully, the pullets love them, hopefully the big chickens do too.

welcome-byc.gif

Frankly, I can't see it ending well for the older roosters. Whenever you have roosters and hens, there will be challenges for dominance. The younger, healthier, stronger rooster will definitely have the upper hand in any of those challenges. Maybe you could build a separate bachelor pen for the two older ones?

X2 on the separate bachelor pen. Once the younger rooster discovers the older roosters have disabilites, he will make the older rooster's lives a living hell. There is nothing a rooster likes better than an underdog to kick around day after day...

welcome-byc.gif

Frankly, I can't see it ending well for the older roosters. Whenever you have roosters and hens, there will be challenges for dominance. The younger, healthier, stronger rooster will definitely have the upper hand in any of those challenges. Maybe you could build a separate bachelor pen for the two older ones?
Thank you!
smile.png

Thats surprising, to me at least, I was expecting that the lil'guy would be having a bad day! He lets the hens walk all over him, literary
roll.png
. Building a new pen would be fun, we'll just see how set the rest of the family is on these roosters. Do you think the pen could still allow them to see the rest of the flock? Or should I keep them completely separate?
On another note, sorry for so many questions, if I got another older rooster with no disabilities, would that be fine?

Last edited:
Quote: Doh! should of thought of that! I was so set on the lil'guy vs big guys that I didn't even think past to when they're all grown up! Man, I really wanted to give these buddies a good home in the current run, but the second run doesn't sound so bad
big_smile.png
I loved building the first one

Last edited:
Thank you!
smile.png

Thats surprising, to me at least, I was expecting that the lil'guy would be having a bad day! He lets the hens walk all over him, literary
roll.png
. Building a new pen would be fun, we'll just see how set the rest of the family is on these roosters. Do you think the pen could still allow them to see the rest of the flock? Or should I keep them completely separate?
On another note, sorry for so many questions, if I got another older rooster with no disabilities, would that be fine?
The little one would be "having a bad day" for a while, but when he reaches sexual maturity, you can bet your booties that he will challenge first one and then the other of the older ones. You could put them in a pen where they could see the others if you wanted to. When I had my bachelor/grow out pen, they were in full view of the hens without any problems. Where would you put another older rooster without disabilities? With the two visually impaired ones, or the rest of the flock? With the two, it might work. You really don't need another one for the rest of the flock. With only 5 hens, it could lead to over breeding and stress for them.

Doh! should of thought of that! I was so set on the lil'guy vs big guys that I didn't even think past to when they're all grown up! Man, I really wanted to give these buddies a good home in the current run, but the second run doesn't sound so bad
big_smile.png
I loved building the first one
Well, there ya go! Have fun!

Your roosters with disabilities will never be able to be kept with healthy adult roosters. To put it as nicely as I can......chickens are all about domination......the weaker ones always pay the price..........an adult testosterone jacked-up rooster is going to give the blind rooster bloody hell every time the blind rooster gets in his way.

Watch your flock, you will see that subordinate chickens move out of the rooster's way. Chickens that don't move get disciplined. It can get very ugly VERY quickly.

Back
Top Bottom