HELP! Irish has sour crop! Advice?

I'm sorry she's not doing well.

Even after years and years of raising chickens, I still sometimes feel unsure of what to do when one of my girls gets sick, especially with crop/digestive issues. Sometimes flushes work great, other times they don't... Same thing with just about every other treatment. And as hard as it is, sometimes nothing helps.

I really hope she manages to pull through, but if she doesn't, just know that that is part of raising chickens and you did everything you could.
I took a personal day from work and took her up to Oklahoma to a vet that treats chickens. They squeezed her crop and all this junk came out. Then they gave me some pills to give her a 1/2 a day for 7 days. I wish they would have cut her chest open and cleared out the blockage. She felt better and they said she can eat, but only her starter crumbles. She ate and ate and ate! Next morning, I found her on the floor of the coop. She just wasn't getting any food in her body, it was staying in her crop. I knew it but it's an hour away and couldn't get back up there in time before they closed (I was a walk-in and it took FOREVER). So, so, SO upset! Still am. Always thinking what I SHOULD have done.

I took a personal day from work and took her up to Oklahoma to a vet that treats chickens. They squeezed her crop and all this junk came out. Then they gave me some pills to give her a 1/2 a day for 7 days. I wish they would have cut her chest open and cleared out the blockage. She felt better and they said she can eat, but only her starter crumbles. She ate and ate and ate! Next morning, I found her on the floor of the coop. She just wasn't getting any food in her body, it was staying in her crop. I knew it but it's an hour away and couldn't get back up there in time before they closed (I was a walk-in and it took FOREVER). So, so, SO upset! Still am. Always thinking what I SHOULD have done.
I'm sorry that's really rough, especially after spending all that time and money trying to get her help.

If the vet emptied out her crop I think that means there was either an impaction farther down her digestive system or she had some other illness/issue that was stopping digestion. It really sounds like this one might not have been curable as sad as that is.

Sorry for your loss and hope you have smooth sailing with your other girls for a good long while.

Back
Top Bottom