Help! Is it Marek’s?

I agree it sounds like vitamin issues. I've never had a problem with dumor feed. Poultry nutridrench is my go-to for anything "off" with chicks. You can just give a little on your finger tip straight out of the bottle with fresh water afterwards. I wouldn't think Marek's either if they're still in the brooder, and only 4 weeks old.
It wouldn't hurt to make sure they're getting some electrolytes and probiotics in their water and double check for cleanliness (in case there's something bacterial going on) as well.
Sorry you are going through this. Don't you wish they could just tell you what's wrong?! :)

I agree it sounds like vitamin issues. I've never had a problem with dumor feed. Poultry nutridrench is my go-to for anything "off" with chicks. You can just give a little on your finger tip straight out of the bottle with fresh water afterwards. I wouldn't think Marek's either if they're still in the brooder, and only 4 weeks old.
It wouldn't hurt to make sure they're getting some electrolytes and probiotics in their water and double check for cleanliness (in case there's something bacterial going on) as well.
Sorry you are going through this. Don't you wish they could just tell you what's wrong?! :)
I do wish they could tell me! I feel just awful that I didn’t realize the issue sooner. We keep them very clean, so I doubt it would be anything from that. We have raised other chicks and learned quickly that a clean butt and a clean brooder are extremely important. Will definitely get the supplements and start them right away.

Marek's is a possibility, but it's best to explore the other options first for sure, as they are treatable. The vitamin route and checking the feed are great suggestions. Do you have other chickens, or have you visited anyone that has chickens?

Marek's is a possibility, but it's best to explore the other options first for sure, as they are treatable. The vitamin route and checking the feed are great suggestions. Do you have other chickens, or have you visited anyone that has chickens?
We do have other chickens, but none of them show any signs of a problem. Is it possible that they could be a carrier of something and we unknowingly brought it in to the chicks?

We hatched some chicks approximately four weeks ago, and two of our Polish chicks (fairly certain they are pullets) are having trouble walking. They are eating and drinking just fine, but they don’t want to stand on their legs much and seem to walk cross-legged, like they are stepping on their own toes. We are still relatively new to raising poultry, and this is our first try at incubating and hatching our own. Can chicks become infected if they are not around other birds? If it’s not Marek’s, what could it be? Thanks in advance for any help.
They don’t really stand without help

When did you first notice the legs crossing - were they ever able to walk "normally"?
The photo below - the foot in the back, is it swollen/larger than the other, also the toe is that one larger too?
upload_2018-4-19_7-56-26.png

We do have other chickens, but none of them show any signs of a problem. Is it possible that they could be a carrier of something and we unknowingly brought it in to the chicks?

It is possible; Marek's virus is impossibly small and is easily carried on chicken dust on our clothes, hair, etc. That said, I'd still suggest exploring the other options first to see if you can help them, as deficiencies and sometimes neurological/physical problems can be cured or at least survived. :)

When did you first notice the legs crossing - were they ever able to walk "normally"?
The photo below - the foot in the back, is it swollen/larger than the other, also the toe is that one larger too?
View attachment 1346247
We didn’t notice it until about 4 days ago. As far as ever walking normally, we thought they were, but now I’m starting to wonder.And now that you point it out, I do see the difference in that foot and toe. I will have to check it out and get back to you.

View attachment 1346247
That part of her foot does look bigger than the other, but it doesn’t really seem swollen. She gets around and it eating and drinking, but I’m just worried because she’s scratching up her feet with her nails. Will have to be sure we keep that clean so it doesn’t get infected. I’m so sad about this!

Where do you live? You could try purina all flock. I like to go to a local mill and buy organic nongmo no corn no soy feed. But it is pricey..

Back
Top Bottom