Help! Is it Marek’s?

auntb273

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2016
We hatched some chicks approximately four weeks ago, and two of our Polish chicks (fairly certain they are pullets) are having trouble walking. They are eating and drinking just fine, but they don’t want to stand on their legs much and seem to walk cross-legged, like they are stepping on their own toes. We are still relatively new to raising poultry, and this is our first try at incubating and hatching our own. Can chicks become infected if they are not around other birds? If it’s not Marek’s, what could it be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mareks is always a possibility, but since 2 are exhibiting the same thing I would wonder more about a vitamin deficiency of some sort. What are you feeding them?

Polish can attract unwanted crest pecking from other birds, have you seen any signs of that?

Thanks for your reply.
We have been feeding DuMor chick starter from Tractor Supply. None of the other birds have shown this behavior, and they are all eating the same thing. They do seem to be picked on from time to time, but no more than any other chick. We’ve kept them inside the house in the brooder, and they haven’t been exposed to any other birds. How would I know if it’s a vitamin deficiency, and what do I give them if it is?

Can you post a closeup picture of the two chicks standing as they normally would? Leg bone deformities are common in all poultry, and can be due to vitamin and mineral deficiency in the parent stock, heredity, and foot problems can be due to incubation problems. Poultry Cell 1 ml daily per chick would be worth trying if it is a vitamin deficiency in the chicks. Here is an article to read:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers

I would feed them a better food if you can get it. I don’t like dumor. Did you have the hatching eggs or did you buy them?
Dumor had an off odor and my birds refused to eat it. Others swear by it, but I don't care for it either.

First, what is the mill date of the feed? If it is over 6 weeks, that would be suspect.

Regardless, I would immediately get all the chicks started on Poultry Nutri Drench. You can also give the 2 suspect chicks some Vitamin E and Selenium.

B/C of the vaulted skull, polish are more prone to neurological issues.

They don’t really stand without help, but here are some pictures that will give you an idea.
7C3D1F82-9614-406B-A9EC-145913A3D87C.jpeg
E77E364F-7A08-494B-95D6-7CCD0C294DBD.jpeg

First, what is the mill date of the feed? If it is over 6 weeks, that would be suspect.

Regardless, I would immediately get all the chicks started on Poultry Nutri Drench. You can also give the 2 suspect chicks some Vitamin E and Selenium.

B/C of the vaulted skull, polish are more prone to neurological issues.

Will check the mill date, for sure. These are our first Polish, so I didn’t know about the possibility of neurological issues. That’s good to know.

I would feed them a better food if you can get it. I don’t like dumor. Did you have the hatching eggs or did you buy them?

We got these from a friend. We hatched 5 total, and only two of them are having issues.

Back
Top Bottom