Marek’s? :(

Burbgardener

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2023
The chicken in question is a starlight green egger pullet, hatched 1st week of March 2023. All of my flock eats a 20% starter/grower free fed, with free choice access to oyster shells, grit and their 5 gal water buckets are changed daily. They live in an outside pen with a coop to sleep/nest in and have additional roosts if they want. I can’t free range but they do have at least a couple hours of yard access a day, usually in the evenings unless it’s my day off then it’s most of the day.

First context… earlier this year I took in a lavender Orpington pullet who passed away with similar symptoms. On Sunday, my husband humanely dispatched another SGE (same hatch/batch I purchased topic SGE) with similar symptoms at my request because I just didn’t want a drawn out slow death like my lavender did. I assumed it was just going to be something I can’t fix since the lavender took me through it for 3 weeks before she finally gave up.

Sunday Brownie had no symptoms that I could see. She was bright, alert, her normal self. She never was a “flock” bird, always preferred to stand with me over being with the others. She has always been a calm bird, comes when called, jumps in your lap kind of bird.

Monday I turned everyone out and I noticed she seemed “off” in the way she walked. Just barely and I mean you really had to look. Had I not just had to dispatch her sister I wouldn’t have noticed. Still seemed bright, talked to me as usual, cuddly as usual. I fed her separately.

Tuesday, markedly worse gait. Still wanting to eat and drink but easy to trip. I began vitamin supplements that evening. Separating to feed her. She is still allowed free access to food but I specifically sit with her AM/PM to ensure she eats.

Wednesday, increase in tripping. Still eating, drinking, taking vitamins.

Today she is holding her right foot/leg out, forward & up weird and “skipping” to run. Easy to trip herself, and mostly lays weird. Like her right foot sticks to the front of her chest. She has control of it. As in she is trying to step with it, marked limp as if she won’t put full weight on it, lifts it up and down. Grasps my finger with her toes. Still going for food and water. Taking vitamins like a champ.

I can’t tell the different of what her issue is. No obvious injury. Nothing else on her. Eyes are normal, breathing normal, normal chicken sounds for her. And of course a google search says a vitamin deficiency or mareks disease (death).

If it is Marek’s how do I tell and what do I do? I have 15 other chicks she has lived with and around. My property is only so big and they can’t be moved. This is a death sentence they don’t deserve from what I’m reading. 🙁

If it is Marek’s how do I tell and what do I do?
The best course of action here would be to send the next bird that passes off for necropsy.

Once you have that info, then you can have a better idea of how to treat your flock or what to expect moving forward, if it is something untreatable like Mareks.

Not to be a negative contributor here, but birds individually passing with unexplained symptoms weeks apart usually does lean toward Mareks. The slow paralysis of the legs, coupled with otherwise normal behavior isn't the best sign.

That is my fear. 🥺 I checked on her this morning. Same as yesterday. I guess she seems happy enough. She took her vitamin E and B complex, she’s eating this morning’s breakfast. Same gait as before, no changes there. Do I just wait it out? Unfortunately there aren’t any chicken vets here… would a regular vet do a necropsy? I wouldn’t even know where to take her body for that.

That is my fear. 🥺 I checked on her this morning. Same as yesterday. I guess she seems happy enough. She took her vitamin E and B complex, she’s eating this morning’s breakfast. Same gait as before, no changes there. Do I just wait it out? Unfortunately there aren’t any chicken vets here… would a regular vet do a necropsy? I wouldn’t even know where to take her body for that.
https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Here is a list by state, with contact info for most of them. You can actually mail the chickens to them if you aren't close enough to drop them off. If you call in advance, they will give you specific instructions - one that I know is consistent is that you do not want to freeze the bodies - you want to put them in the fridge. Again, they should tell you how they want you to mail them. Also, I know you have ended some suffering on some of the previous chickens, id ask them about that as well - if there is a certain way you should do this to preserve for them.

Make sure when you call them, you tell them that you are a backyard chicken keeper. In mine, and other folks experiences I have seen here, they will give you a much better deal on the necropsy. Ours in Oregon is listed at something like $150 for the necropsy, but the one we did in the past, we were charged $25 and then the shipping was about the same, for a total of around $50.

It sounds like you are doing a good job treating and monitoring her now. I would just keep that up.

I am terribly sorry that you are going through this. I couldn't imagine.

What symptoms did you see in the ones who died?
Lavender orp was 1st earlier this year. Originally we’d thought it was poor nutrition and parasite control. I thought she was older than she was so she was eating a 16% layer feed with scratch grains, I found lice on her. She was not a friendly bird and not one you could just routinely check when you felt like it. She started with lethargy and stillness before rapidly progressing to paralysis. Almost overnight from the onset of her being still to lateral. She stayed pretty much in recumbency for nearly 3 weeks while I tried all sorts of treatments (vitamins, antibiotics, better food, a harness etc) before she finally passed on her own. She never stood back up. Only got to a point where she could just barely dust bathe herself before passing.

A while passed. No issues. I got new babies in March (SGEs and some others). The 2nd loss was an SGE this passed Sunday. I first noticed a slight “trip” for about a week and tbh I never really thought much of it. It never really dawned on me to consider it abnormal it was that minimal. Hindsight is 20/20. We went out of town for the weekend, Friday PM to Sunday late afternoon. Sunday late afternoon she was flopping all over the place and very imbalanced. Still wanting to eating and drink but she had little control of her balance. I just immediately asked my husband to please dispatch her as she looked just like the Orpington. So I cried, he dispatched her and that was that.

Then I was sitting and noticed Brownie. Of all birds. My lap chicken. Started with the slight “trip” and I immediately thought death. 🥺 it progressed from there to where it is now- she is very trippy and holds her right leg oddly. She is easy to fall over.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Here is a list by state, with contact info for most of them. You can actually mail the chickens to them if you aren't close enough to drop them off. If you call in advance, they will give you specific instructions - one that I know is consistent is that you do not want to freeze the bodies - you want to put them in the fridge. Again, they should tell you how they want you to mail them. Also, I know you have ended some suffering on some of the previous chickens, id ask them about that as well - if there is a certain way you should do this to preserve for them.

Make sure when you call them, you tell them that you are a backyard chicken keeper. In mine, and other folks experiences I have seen here, they will give you a much better deal on the necropsy. Ours in Oregon is listed at something like $150 for the necropsy, but the one we did in the past, we were charged $25 and then the shipping was about the same, for a total of around $50.

It sounds like you are doing a good job treating and monitoring her now. I would just keep that up.

I am terribly sorry that you are going through this. I couldn't imagine.
Thank you for this information! I’m in Florida. This was super helpful. If she passes I do plan to do the necropsy. I have to know what to do next.

This is the bird in question. Even standing she holds her right leg oddly.

Attachments

• 2DC34BBE-7045-4752-871C-82AFCC3B912E.jpeg
    2DC34BBE-7045-4752-871C-82AFCC3B912E.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom