Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello everyone!!! I've been soooo busy lately, buuuut I am currently raising some chicks and 2 baby turkeys, one of which looks to be a male!

I hope everyone here is doing well!!!

Don
One of our happiest Summers with back yard babies was when we raised Turkeys. Soft coos and gentle natures. I was even able to shepherd them around the property every afternoon for fresh forage. Our supplier stopped business. I've been on the look out for a heritage breed we could propagate ever since.

Hi All,
Busy, yes, but also big changes for us. We moved to Panama (yes, the country) and no longer have the opportunity to have chickens. I do want everyone to know, though, that I cherish the friendships and timely information that BYC provided me when I was a newby. You folks saved me LOTS of time and mistakes with your helpful information. Good days to you all !!! Ruth
Glad you are doing well! Good luck on your new adventure!

Hey. I'm around lurking on occasion but I've just been so busy! We have 4 coops right now and I won't even guess how many chickens. We just got the fence up around the garden this year to combat the deer. My back is not happy with all the yard work!
Hey. I'm around lurking on occasion but I've just been so busy! We have 4 coops right now and I won't even guess how many chickens. We just got the fence up around the garden this year to combat the deer. My back is not happy with all the yard work!
Glad you are doing well! Sounds like a handful

I have had lots of changes since I first joined. I moved out of state before I could get going on construction.
New house came with beautiful hen house and spacious attached run.
I ordered chicks through the mail, who knew? My brother was amazed.
I ordered 3 breeds, last summer: 5 each (too many). Not knowing how hardy chicks are and with the “packing peanut chicks” ended up with 18. All healthy. One Dominque Rooster. 17 layers. 6 Black sex link. 5 Barred Rock. 6 Dominque. I’m donating eggs to an agency on aging which helps folks “age-in-place”.
Currently 12 consistently lay in brood boxes, and 5 consistently lay 'somewhere else'. The run needs to be patched, so all are free range.
So, now I am a Chicken-lady.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post

Hello and happy It-is-Finally- Spring!!!,

our days are quite full.. last summer we lost 3 hens as kfc to a coyote.
I know it was such, because when it was headed to the horse trough for a drink ( feathers must tickle the throat) I saw it. I ran out towards it, waving my arms and hollering big scarey noises. A now Very confused young coyote ran away with nary a backward glance. I rationalized, perhaps "she" was a mom with a desperate need of food for her pups' survival---aka circle of life. Even though I missed our hens (1, Molly, was my fav) I felt equally bad when
i saw what I presummed to be "our" coyote dead on the road shoulder 1/2 mile from our house. I really felt concern for "her" pups survival, if indeed she was a mom at the time.

This April my wonderful husband took me to buy 3 new chicks, and then again 2 weeks later 2 more chicks. Our youngest 2
(Maran, Welsummer) are growing in our bathtub brooder while their three older coop-mates grow in a large dog crate in the family room.
All was going well until... Last night 1 of the three( a black lace silver Wyandotte) passed smelly chick diarrhea. Enter the Corid "enhanced" water. She still had diarrhea but still has good energy and appetite... so i'm hoping we caught this in time. Her crate friends seem quite healthy.
Our 5 indoor cats- the Kracken- become Very protective of Their chicks once the chicks are old enough to go outside, even to providing a wedged guard around their yard if a "strange" cat even thinks about going over to say hello or looks at them.
Our outside cats could not care less about the hens... And the hens like to check out the cats' food dish-as a way to protect their cats from eating stale food! I now hide the cat dishes before letting the hens out.
Our horse, Caleb, isn't sure if he is a person ( great fondness for breakfast cappuccaino with pecan rolls), a chicken (yummy hen food kibbles- the egg that accidently fell into his breakast was crunchy, weird but ok) And the chickens like to follow underneath Caleb, eating any yummies he might stir up.
And just to add a touch of sanity to our household, we-the 2 people- decided to replace a leaking garage roof, drafty home windows and old-very old- much worn house siding.
Now that I have written this, if it seems we are crazy, we are not..... just wildly eccentric.
Hope you all have a pleasant year with laying hens, colorful roosters, hatching eggs.. and any predators thinking to kfc , go shopping far away. C2H

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
It has been a few years since I have posted. But I always check this site for experienced chicken owners and I love having this information easy to access. I have lost my mind and have exceeded my normal chick limit. Now I have to get another coop. But I love my girls and they love me every day.

Attachments

• 440981543_10233349297778785_6406028856903420364_n.jpg
    440981543_10233349297778785_6406028856903420364_n.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 0

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi. We don’t have chickens anymore. We had chickens for ten years. The size of our flock gradually dwindled from ten birds because of sickness and predators until we finally only had a single bird. We gave her away to an animal rescue.

Back
Top Bottom